• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Need Grinder Advice

I currently have a Woodcraft Slow-speed grinder, but I'm in the market to get a new grinder, preferably a medium or hwavy duty unit. Can anyone recommend a 1725 rpm grinder and source?

Thanks

Grinder

John,
Craft Supplies sells the Delta Heavy Duty 8" grinder for $199 plus shipping. But I'm curious, what's wrong with the grinder you have, or why aren't you considering remaining with the less expensive Woodcraft model?:confused:
KurtB

PS - P/N 268-8000, pg. 28, slow speed

Last edited:

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I have had that grinder for years and it work great. I have updated the wheels to the Oneway 8" wheels and a balancing system.
But if I wanted a cadillac, it would be the Blador. Expensive, but well worth it.
Of all the tools I have gone through a series of upgrades, bandaws (4), lathes (3), tablesaws (why? ), I just have not had the need to spend that much on a grinder where I think the payoff is so little.

woodcraft grinders

I once owned 2 woodcraft grinders. One was the 1725 rpm model and then the 2 speed 1725/3450 rpm model. I cannot recommend either model. I replaced the wheels, balanced them and still could not get rid of the vibration in the grinder. Finally miked the shaft and found it did not run true. I returned the 1725 model. The other one never performed to standards. It is now my shop standard grinder, for non-turning uses. Both always had vibration problems, even with new and balanced 8" wheels.

I replaced them with a Jet 3450 rpm and it hummed like a champ, right out of the box. I would suggest either the HD Delta or the HD Jet.

The money saved was not worth the aggravation.

if you are going to look at the delta variable speed model make sure you buy it from your local home center(ie. Lowes home depot) I got mine from Lowes several years back on sale for about $100 but I think that their regular price is around $130 for the variable speed 8" delta grinder just like Craft supplies sells but for a lot less money. I have been very pleased with mine.
Stacey

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I also have the 2 speed 8" grinder from Woodcraft. I like it and don't see a need to improve. I use it on the slow speed all the time. If I was buying a heavy duty grinder it would be a Baldor.

We just had a sharpening demo at our club the other night. One of the demonstrators showed sharpening on a baldor slow speed. That was a really nice grinder. As Steve already pointed out, they are expensive. But there is no comparison between them and any of the hobbiest level grinders.

If a price tag of $600+ is no big deal then it's an easy choice, but most turners will do very well with a much less expensive unit.

Ed

I started with the slow speed one from Woodcraft. It worked, but it would stall with only moderate pressure. I got a Baldor. I can barely here it run. I can't stall it, no matter how much pressure I use, and I don't have to bolt it down. I got it from a local industrial supply place for about $80 less than Woodcraft would sell it to me for. No regrets.
robo hippy

Website
www.bowlturner.com
Wow,

I guess I was lucky. I have the Woodcraft slow speed grinder and it works great.

I had heard about some problems with the early models, so I asked to try it out before I pulled out the plastic. It worked great right out of the box. I have never slowed mine down a bit, even when reshaping tools. It is one of the tools that I never even think of needing to upgrade..... other than the Oneway wheels I just put on it, they are light years better that the originals.

Best wishes,
Dave

Thanks, all for your replies.

Kurt, the left spindle on the grinder won't run true anymore. It's about three years old and the wheel on the left began wobbling. I sprang for Norton 3X wheels for both sides, but it seems that no matter what I do, the left wheel wobbles about 1/8" out of true. I literally spent hours working on it and have now decided to cut my losses. I'll probably use the old motot as a dedicated buffing motor.

Again, I appreciate everyone's help.

Kurt, the left spindle on the grinder won't run true anymore. It's about three years old and the wheel on the left began wobbling. I sprang for Norton 3X wheels for both sides, but it seems that no matter what I do, the left wheel wobbles about 1/8" out of true. I literally spent hours working on it and have now decided to cut my losses. I'll probably use the old motot as a dedicated buffing motor.

I have the Woodcraft grinder. It was fine when I got it but when I upgraded the wheels the right one wobbled. A friend suggested I mark the position of the wheel and washer on the shaft. Keeping the wheel in relatively the same position start moving the washer around the shaft in small increments. It did the trick, no more wobble.

KEW

John,
I had the same symptoms you describe. I tried replacing wheels and rotating the wheels various angles. In the end, the trick was to rotate the washer (as Jake said).
Obviously this indicates that the WC grinder components are not the highest quality, but it is a simple machine - all it does is spin.
I switched to the Oneway balancing system. I had a tough time with the idea of spending $60 to balance a $90 grinder, but once I looked at the Oneway system and saw that it included one-piece machined aluminum washer/spacers for both wheels to replace the pos which came with the WC grinder.

I'd recommend that you try this kit (Woodcraft is good about returns if it doesn't work for you).

That said, the Delta and Baldor are both better machines, but I'm not sure how important power and weight are to sharpening turning tools. Robo Hippy is the only person I've ever heard of having power issues. I suspect he had a bad motor on his grinder.

After the balancing kit, my WC grinder works very well.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com

OK, I will admit that I have spent more than I normally would have, out of frustration.
That said, you will not spend countless hours on a Baldor getting it to run smoothly. But you would still want a balancing kit and good wheels regardless of the grinder you buy.That said, maybe a Baldor 8100wd?

Website
www.abhats.com
I've used a Woodcraft low speed for five years and have had no problems at all. I guess it's just the luck of the draw, as I've heard horror stories from some and others with my experience as well. If I have the money when this one dies, perhaps I'll go for a Baldor as well.

As this discussion runs into big iron and big bucks, might I make a suggestion? Kill a bunch of birds with one purchase and get something like this. http://woodworking.jettools.com/Products.aspx?nav=ByPart&ClassID=333164&Part=577110 If you're using one of those aftermarket jigs you can fit it to this as well as anything else, and if not, you can certainly rig a rest or buy the Veritas for general work.

That way you get a behemoth of a motor, a buffer, sander and grinder in one foul swoop. Not exactly compact, but when you consider the other tools built in, not a bad deal.

Love mine, and it won't break the bank.

Most of my power problems with the WC grinder came on scrapers, especially when I wanted to do some reshaping. I have found with my scrapers that I get a better burr when I apply some pressure as opposed to just kissing the surface. This could be my CBN wheels which don't seem to be as aggressive as the AO wheels. CBN does have the advantage of being balanced to begin with, but most don't want to spend $300 for a wheel, even if it lasts for years of production turning work.
robo hippy

Back