• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to David Bartell for "Critter Serioes #3" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 23, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Need Advice From the Hollow Form Folks

About a year ago, I posted pictures of a mulberry with a hole through the pith. Someone said, "That would make a great hollow form." Today I cut a section of that log and mounted it. I have rough turned it. Unfortunately, I probably took too much material off the bottom and now the hole is down near the bottom rather than centered. I'm curious how you HF folk would shape this at this point.

What profile would you go for here? I'm not opposed to you drawing lines on my photo. ;) I can probably turn it around if needed.

IMG_20240923_115644.jpg

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
When I look at it, I see a round-bottomed form with the bottom on the left (in the drive center). There's probably room there for a tenon. Not sure about the tailstock side. That flair might make a nice top. But you might get better effect from the void by loosing most of that and just have a mostly-roundish form. Hard to judge from one picture.

Thanks, Dave. I thought about that. I think it would work to turn it around. The flare was just an artifact from shaping, but it might be usable.

Website
www.lylejamieson.com
Hi Kent, I agree with Dave. The spherical shape can be helped by putting a mild "neck" off the top and tapering the neck up into a relatively small hole. I visualize the neck about half as tall as the wood you have left there now at the live center end.

Plan "B" might be to turn it upside down. The neck now is where the drive center is. The base now has lots of waste wood for a faceplate, stronger and safer holding. Continue the bulbous shape of the bottom with a rather small foot to sit on the table that will give it some lift and lightness. Dont be afraid to turn it thin, just take it in stages and dont go back to the top once it is thin.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I would 2nd Dave’s & Lyles too.

If you pull the left side in a bit you will have the windows centered on a spherical shape.
I always probe the inside of hollows a bit to be sure there is no hidden soft spots where I want to hold it on the lathe.
IMG_2121.jpeg

Then you can design a foot and rim openings you like. I like a round bottom with no foot.

A sphere with a through hollow makes a nice piece with no hollowing.
You have that available too.
Can’t find a photo.

Last edited:
Back