• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

My website has new clothes

Well I took the advice of all and lost the blue background. I originally started with a gray background, but my wife didn't like it, so I changed it to the blue. She didn't like that either, go figure. I looked at it with a white background, (as the Grand Pooh-Bah suggested) but really did not like that, so went back to the gray. I definitely think it looks better. I also added navigation to all of the pages. Luckily that was pretty easy to do with the program I used to design the site (Go=Live). I also fixed a few other minor technical glitches that people gave me a heads up on. Take a look and give me your honest feedback. It can only help me to improve. TIA.

Mike

http://breezyhillturning.com/

DMcIvor

AAW Staff
Website
www.mcivorwoodworks.com
Mike-

I think your site looks great, and your work is enviable. Well done! I did check out the site back in your blue period, and I think the gray is a big improvement--and I like it. Also, the site is easy to navigate. My only wee complaint is that some of your thumbnails are a little blurry. Either that or I shouldn't be on the computer this late at night. Once you click through the full size images are excellent, but the fuzzy thumbnail might be a disincentive for someone to proceed.

Lots of easy solutions to this minor issue, and I'm sure you have some at hand. I'll mention that I use a freeware program for creating thumbnails called Easy Thumbnails (they must pay their marketing people nothing). But it does work well and simply.

Don

Website
www.chuckswoodshed.com
Mike,
I've not seen you site before and I'm not an expert on color, so I couldn't compare this with the previous, but I definitely like your site now. The work is what stands out and that's how it should be. It stands out so much I find it hard to pay much attention to the backgrounds, etc. I just want to keep digging deeper into your galleries.

The layout and navigation is extremely good. I've done a few similar sites for folks in the past using "roll your own" coding and Frontpage. Both of which are pretty sorry when it comes to building thumbnail pages and links to larger photos. Either you did a lot of tedious work or GoLive is a great tool. As I said the navigation is top notch.

I think you've made the right trade-off on the thumbnails. I looked at the file size on a couple and they are small; which is good for folks that are out in the wilderness and don't have fast internet access. If they want to see sharper details of the object they can go to the larger photo.

Good Job! And man I'm going back to look at some more of your turnings. Makes a beginner like me wish he'd started years earlier.

GREAT SITE, the grey looks VERY professional ( unlike my site) and IMHO very smart as all the color stuff looks excellent infront of the greyish back grounds.
Paul

Back