• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

My Lathe of choice - Laguna Revo 24-36 (Did I choose poorly?)

I purchased a Laguna Revo 24-36 a few years ago and have begun to wonder if I messed up? The lathe itself is wonderful. I have no issues with it or Laguna. I have noticed that they do not make this model any longer. I'm wondering if anyone has some input on Lagunas reasoning for dropping it.

It's junk, I'll give you $1000 to dispose of it.

I still see the 24/36 on the Laguna site and on Woodcraft. I use the 18/36. Works fine. I'd rather have a 24/36.

How did you choose poorly if "The lathe itself is wonderful. I have no issues with it or Laguna." Can you explain?

I have a Laguna 24/36 and I love it. We also have an 1836 so two of us can turn at the same time. I started on a Laguna 1224 and never had any problems with any of them. At one time we also owned a Nova 14DR but it didn't compare to the Laguna so I sold it to a friend getting into the hobby. I have a laguna bandsaw and planer also. I see people occasionally complain about the service but I guess I can't comment on that because every Laguna tool I've owned has never had any problems to complain about or reason to call the service department.

I've had mine since it was available in my country, second model of that size which is basically the same shape as the current 18-36.

It is possible that it could be out of production as I just looked and the importer/distributor in Australia isn't currently listing the 24-36.

If so, the reasons could be various and within reason out of the companies hands. Mine was manufactured in Taiwan, perhaps manufacture in Taiwan is no longer viable due to costs, or not enough of them being sold to make economies of scale; thereby pushing the price up to an unsellable high.

Hero models of many companies products often only sell in limited numbers, but their presence usually sells a real lot of the lower specified models of whatever the product is; which is sometimes why a hero model is brought to a market.

All I know is that so far, it has been a very good journey and is a dream to use, and unless I do something stupid to it, it will definitely see me out. The serial number on mine is 21. :)

My guess is that it's the result of the business model of Laguna. Some companies, Grizzly probably being the most prominent example, behave more like consumer products companies than like traditional tool makers. Maybe they have more savvy business people in charge. In any case, that way of looking at a particular product would involve profitability and consumer enthusiasm. If sales volume is low and therefore, the net profit is low, a product might be discontinued. Some consumers are attracted by the shiny new object, and an older product might be deemphasized or discontinued so the marketing people can promote the latest whizbang model.

As has been said, if your lathe works well for you, be pleased with it, be proud of it, make good stuff on it. The rest is smoke and mirrors.

I have had a Laguna Revo 24/36 220v for 4 years and am very happy with it. No issues and it will turn any wood I can fit within the swing. Why do you say it is no longer available? It is listed on the "March Madness" sale on the Laguna Tools website. Also on several other websites I looked at. Laguna Revo 24/36

I have the 12/16 and I think my issues with the lathe and with Laguna are fairly well documented here but with that said if the lathe is working well for you, you can get replacement parts and you enjoy turning on it then I think you choose just fine (sorry I can't say well but that's just my own personal bias).

Back