• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

My Introduction

Website
www.TheWriteWoodshop.com
Seems customary and my time to introduce myself.

I have been an AAW member for a couple of years. I have turned a bunch of pens, but just turned my first "dish" at the end of January. I attended a 'skill enhancement' session with the Capital Area Woodturners (a member for a couple of years there too) and turned a small dish out of poplar with help from more experienced members. (THANKS to Al and CA!!)

I'm struggling with what finish to put on it. It certainly is no museum piece, but being my first I want to finish it and keep it... it will provide fond memories and some laughs no doubt:D.

I have a Jet 1236, a Penn State Turncrafter mini, and a Shopsmith. That Shoppy has turned quite a few pens!!

So, Hello everyone, I'll be lurking and reading, and may even be able to help a new penturner somewhere along the line!
If you have a favorite beginner bowl turning book I should read, please let me know!

Happy Shavings !!

Michael

Last edited:
Welcome !

Hi Michael and welcome to the AAW site. Sounds like you are well on your way.

There are lots of good books and videos out there. Raffan has a new book out called "The Art of the Turned Bowl", Ellsworth has a new one out as well. Bill Grumbine has an excellent video called "Turned Bowls Made Easy" which is very highly regarded.

You are not required to put any finish on your bowl/dish if you don't want to. The usual oils, polys, shallac, lacquer, wax are certainly options. Maybe keep it simple for now and just put a nice coat of good wax on and buff it out some.

Good luck , have fun, and be safe.

Don

that's the great thing about woodturning, ya never know what you will try to accomplish next, lots of twists and turns

enjoy and welcome :D

Intro

Welcome to the Forums! Don't be shy and jump right in. Please read the Help, Rules and FAQ for some info about posts and photos. Otherwise, enjoy!

Back