• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

My Christmas ornament project

Each year I make ornaments and donate them to the local Lions club to sell I have already started for this year.
6DnG5Lr.jpg

The spindle on the left is what I start with. It is ten inches long. (I bought three hundred fifty of them for ten dollars) I turn them into rough shapes using some of the original spindle's lines. sand them and then separate them using a narrow kerf hand saw into individual pieces and finish sanding. They are then ready for finishing/painting, etc. For the rough fish shape, I use a belt sander to flatten the tail. The rough individual pieces on the right are close to being ready for paint/finish, etc.

What a bargain! Lions Club is a great organization. The fish shapes would also make good fan and light pulls.

Those would also work nice for making (2) small tool handles for small turning tools. They would also work great for (2) handles each for making ferro rod fire starters which I have been making lately.

BTW: The tapered end tabs of the spindles are just right for mounting in a Morse No 1 socket. and the tail stock live center with the removable center taken out. Because it is just a friction drive and such a narrow spindle, the few catches I get, do not tear up the work. .

Back