• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Multi Axis Goblet

http://www.aawforum.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=4565

Charles posted this image of his eccentric goblet and responded to my question on the meaning of his turning notations. I'm still trying to get it through my head.

He is referring to various positions with numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Is there order of these points on the tail stock side? Are they in a line? Do they form the 5 pattern on a domino?

John :)

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
Don't mean to speak for Charles. But it should help to look carefully at the diagrams in Barbara Dill's journal article to get an idea of the options. I believe Charles was just giving you a verbal summary of the turning of his fine piece. Perhaps you could try to draw a diagram from that based on the ideas in the article. And then practice some turnings to see what the results are.

Multi axis

John, without going back and looking, I believe that the Barbara Gill article is a two part series. The Fall and Winter issues of the Journal. Very interesting (and confusing for this old brain)!

Website
www.chakajo.com
Maybe I can clarify

Hey John,
I think I can clear it up for you. Both off center axis segments of the stem were turned in a similar way. I used a chuck instead of centers and that's why I said the axis points only change on the tailstock end.
For the dragon, the axis was changed 4 times after turning the center axis. The pattern of the axis points would form the domino pattern of a 5 (if the tailstock was used that is). The first OC axis formed the ventral (bottom) side of the dragon. The second and third OC axis formed the left and right sides of the mouth respectively. The fifth axis (fourth OC axis) formed the space between the horns. I did that by pointing the chin up so I could go down through the center and "hollow" out the center of the horns.
For the stem part of the flame I used a very simple technique. All I did was shift the axis 3 times after center in the pattern of an equilateral triangle and then shave a little bit of meat off of the bulges with each change. The axis were so drastic on that part that one end of the stem was buried in the live center between the cup and point.

Did I make it worse? :rolleyes: Let me know if you have another question. I think I have some pictures somewhere of the process, but I'm not sure. I'll send a sequence to you if it helps. :cool2:

Back