• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mobility Solution

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Here is my solution. Not a good one if you need to move the lathe frequently but very good if you have to move it over an uneven surface. I rolled it across a gravel area when I had to move to a new shop. I use a cheap hydraulic lift to lift them. then the rollers are place in place. The hole in the middle is for the jack. I have half inch diameter lag bolts through the metal. I wondered if that would be strong enough but I've moved this lathe in a moving van 4 times now and even loaned them out to friends so apparently they do hold up. It does take a few minutes to install them but not very long. The biggest issue is storing them when not in use. Right now they sit in corner of my Dust collector room so they are out of the way. In my last shop I was constantly having to move them because no matter where I put them sooner or later they would be in the way.
Brilliant. In your next life, I'm betting you will come back as an Engineer. Thanks for always helping John, here and on social media. Aloha

Does anyone know of a good way to be able roll around a lathe like a Vicmarc vl300. Casters or something like they make for the Powermatics. I've seen a pic of a Vl300 on casters with what looked like something you could step on to raise & lower it but couldn't tell what they were. Thank you

Attachments

• 5CB58255-86FF-4559-B82E-A0FD298471A0.jpeg
    5CB58255-86FF-4559-B82E-A0FD298471A0.jpeg
    206.4 KB · Views: 37
Back