• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

mobility for a JET 1642 EVS lathe

With some creative rearranging I can finally get a bigger lathe, even larger than the Nova I was looking at. However there is still an issue of mobility I need to try to overcome. I could have it just up against the wall but I'b be working in direct sunlight after 1 in the afternoon and that gets a bit warm this time of year.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to make this lathe mobile?

I've been thinking of using industrial casters under each leg, either directly attached or on a wooden platform I could slide under the legs. I've also thought of trying to develop some combination of casters and levelling feet where I could use the feet to drop it onto the casters, move it and use the feet to raise it, or have the caster move up ad down.

Thanks!

Gerry

I agree I would put up one of those pull down blinds. I did on mine. Still gives me light but keeps the sun and some of the heat out.

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Don't mobilize the lathe if at all possible....!!

hcbph said:
Gerry

Wouldn't it be easier to put up some shades? Easier that than moving any lathe.

Paul

I had the same thought!!

My lathe is in a basement shop/studio (so light and heat aren't problems), but I still use pull-down window shades (the white garage-sale special, spring-loaded kind) hanging from the ceiling on the opposite side of the lathe and behind me as I stand at the lathe, squarely in the line-of-fire. I use these only during the roughing out process to confine chips and shavings to the immediate area of the lathe for easier cleanup, and more importantly, to keep water from flying all over the shop when I'm roughing out green blanks. They really confine the mess pretty well, and when I'm done with roughing out, up they go, and I can continue with normal turning, sanding, and other finishing operations.

If you can manage it, I would try to not move the lathe at all (in fact, weigh it down as much as possible) and accomplish the light/heat reduction through other means.

Good luck!

Rob

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
PM3520 Solutions will work see link

to PM3520 Tips at:
http://www.woodturner.org/vbforum/showthread.php?t=1839
and look under "Moving and Delivery" and then "Casters"

A buddy has just gotten a 1642 and we soon realized the solutions for the 3520 apply perfectly. Oddly the 1642 has a slightly wider foot (left to right) but both are the same height and use a 3/8" threaded hole in the foot.

The problem with many solutions is that they raise the height of the lathe too much for un-tall persons. We liked Gary Ljostad's solution a lot, but again it raised the lathe too much. We have just fabricated a Z bracket that avoids this by lifting the casters almost above the foot. I will post pictures when I get installed later this week (I hope.)

Also see http://zambus.com/pages/act800.htm for a caster and foot combined. This will require re tapping the foot to M12 or boring it out and using a nut. Again, this raised the lathe, but is a slick, fast solution.

Last edited:
my latest thought is to still keep it mobile. The extra hegight won't bother me too much. Over the weekend I placed my mini up higher, C/L went form 44 1/2 inches to 48 inches. Work pretty good for the box I made.

I was drawing up some similar plans like the ones on the Powermatic leg shot. Actually thinking of using a scissors jack, sliding it under the leg, lifting, sliding wheels uder, lowering, repeat on other end, move, repeat removing the wheels and then adjust the feet as needed.

The top heaviness worried me a bit, but it should be manageable. Unfortunately I have expansion joints in the garage floor and it is also post tension. So a tip over could be catastrophic to the floor.

The shade idea might work better. Then again a nice one sideed tan has its' own unique look.

Thanks!

Gerry

My favorite mobile base is the Delta 50-345. My workshop is also a garage so, when the car (which belong so the LOML) is in there I can't use it as a shop. When the car is removed I have to move my tools (lathes, table saws, sanders, etc) into the open space to use them. Every large tool I own is mounted on a Delta 50-34 mobile base. I do make one change in the set up of the base by using 2 inch box steel to make the frame rather than the 2x2 wood segments that are typically used for that purpose. The base rolls like a dream, is easy to "steer" and is very stable when the caster is dropped down to place the frame on the floor.
You can find these for as much as $80 if you don't shop around. Mine have all been under $50. Check this mobile base (it's actually a kit) out and I think you'll like what you see. It takes a little time to drill all the holes accurately and bolt it all together but, once it's complete, it's well worth the effort.
This, IMHO, is a pretty good price for the base:
http://www.amazon.com/Delta-50-345-Universal-Mobile-Included/dp/B0000223CL

Last edited:
Back