• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Mobile Turning Workshop

OK, I find myself with some time on my hands (on hold with the Dr's office), so I'm going to start this thread. I don't have any serious plan to do this, but I have been musing lately on the possibility of putting a turning shop in a trailer. I got the idea when I saw a race car team towing a machine shop in a trailer, and thought that might be a possible snowbird solution for a wood turner. I figured some people here will have done it, seen it or at least thought about it, so I'll ask.

From a quick look it seems that trailers are limited to about 8.5 feet in width, but there are a lot of people who work in small spaces and there is the option to go long, say 20 feet. Also there is such a thing as bump outs on trailers which could give some elbow room around a lathe. You'd want a bandsaw and maybe a drill press, but these are small foot print. Some tools like a job site table saw or sliding compound miter saw can be stored, then set up and used as needed. DC might have to rely on a fan and the great outdoors.

We spend 40-50% of our time on the road with our 5th wheel, although we have been home for nearly 3 months now because of the pandemic. Itching to get back on the road, but being home the last few months, with less socializing, has given me more bonding time with my PM3520 :)

A few years ago I bought a Comet2 specifically to travel with (my wife has a sewing machine along so why shouldn’t I have a lathe?). I built a knockdown stand and have taken it along on a handful of trips. You gather quite a crowd turning a bowl in the ‘campground’ at the NM Balloon Fiesta. The lathe, my Tormek, a small compressor, and a tote with gouges, chucks, and turning stuff easily fits in our 5er. I lay an old bed sheet down first to gather most of the chips, even a State Park doesn’t want a pile of shavings I think.

Frankly, I’ve used this a handful of times but usually don’t pack it. The reason is that we typically travel every couple/few days on a 2-3month trip; and with hiking and sightseeing our time fills up pretty fast. If we intended to stay in one space for a few weeks I think I’d take it along more often.

Hi Mark, I've seen the video that Jerry mentioned about Carl Jacobson's mobile workshop and it is very nice. For someone that likes to travel that would be a dandy!

Don't remember where, but seen several turners that created mobile shops and use them during shows/markets, etc to attract a crowd and demo how. Lots of options on trailers with side doors other than just the standard walk/step in door on passenger side. Seen lots with window size doors on driver side.

If I were to do this, only saw I'd want is bandsaw, others take too much space. I'd plan on carrying lots of blanks, but would probably include battery or corded chainsaw to deal with found wood on the trip.

I'd probably limit lathe size to a midi, full size turning unbalanced blank just isn't going to happen with flex you have in most trailer floors.

I'd want a double axle for capacity and stability. Lot more room than you think to work, move around.

Stuart Kent had his mobile trailer at the Raleigh Symposium. I did go inside and he had about 6+ midi lathes. Don’t remember much more. He does teach woodturning.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Been seriously thinking on how to do this myself. My wife and I have a 35' 5th wheel and while a lot of stops are 1-2 nighters we do stay put for a while sometimes. It's easy to get restless in an RV park after a few days. No option to do any turning inside of course so would have to be done on either a folding table stand or on the tailgate of my truck. I have a small 9" bench lathe so could easily do small bowls, trinkets and things. I did see Carl's video a while back and got me thinking of it as an option. I think you could get by with a good battery chain saw if you burned through all the small blanks you brought along.

Website
www.blacklabelwoodworks.com
Been seriously thinking on how to do this myself. My wife and I have a 35' 5th wheel and while a lot of stops are 1-2 nighters we do stay put for a while sometimes. It's easy to get restless in an RV park after a few days. No option to do any turning inside of course so would have to be done on either a folding table stand or on the tailgate of my truck. I have a small 9" bench lathe so could easily do small bowls, trinkets and things. I did see Carl's video a while back and got me thinking of it as an option. I think you could get by with a good battery chain saw if you burned through all the small blanks you brought along.

Looks like you need to trade up to a toy hauler. All the living space with a garage in the back.

RV travel is a pleasant thought, but what I was pondering was snowbirding with a workshop that could be transported between a residence up north and one down south.

I have a friend that I haven't heard from in some years, but he had his work shop in a trailer. He carted around a 3520 and chainsaws. He was good with the chainsaw. He would have to unload the 3520 to work. I guess it depends on how much you want to do... It can be done...

robo hippy

Actually not that difficult to do, just takes $. Could easily do it with a full size lathe. May need to do some local floor/frame reinforcement to handle lathe reaction forces with unbalanced work - how much depends on how big the work is. Would not use battery power for anything. Need to know available power down south. Wire the “shop” for AC and just plug in upon arrival, just like an RV. Dont know what kind of power they draw. Not that difficult to design the workspace to hold tools etc while in motion, then rearrange for use upon arrival. DC and chip handling might be the biggest challenge. Could forego DC and use a papr system, or just have a blower to send dust outside - could not have hvac if you did that. Would be an interesting project.

It all depends on how much baggage you want to drag along. Do you want every tiny piece of machinery, including a table saw, mortise machine etc, or just enough to turn. I have drug a lathe on wheels out to demonstrate. Used a stock trailer to do it. The floor in the stock trailer was 7 ft x 12. It was more than I needed for one day shows, but moving everything back in side was a PIA. I thought of a small dedicated trailer for hauling to such places. Even picked up some smaller equipment for the trailer. But not intended to do everything, just enough to demonstrate turning. Right now, everything can be fit into a very small space. Small drill press, small belt sander, an old small shop vac for dust collection. windows to permit viewing the lathe. which is 12 x 21. Right now I could fit it and my girth into a small 4 x 10 trailer, which would be cramped, but doable. I have seen a guy that had a tiny booth on wheels. It had the lathe surrounded by windows, but protected the viewers from shavings and accidents. a curtain across the back in cold weather protected him from some elements and he had a 10 x 10 canopy with shelves for his inventory. the turning booth was only 10 or 12 sq ft and had some kind of collection system. more like a shower stall in size.

Beth Ireland toured the country a few years back with a mini shop fitted at the back inside the Chevy Express van that she lived in durng the journey. It was very neatly designed with slide out/drop leg work surfaces for a mini lathe, small bandsaw and drill press.

Several years ago in my boatbuilding days, I came across a boatbuilder that had converted a poptop camper trailer to use as a portable shop. All tools were arranged so that you just walked around the outside of the trailer to access them. The top, when raised, had awnings. Pretty nifty setup!

There is a popular Youtube turner. Forget the name, who appears to have a massive shop in the videos, but as it turns out he is in a 12 x 8 shed or something small like that. There is another youtube wood worker. Don't recall the name, but his shop is a tiny gutted travel trailer. I mean small like 8 x 10 old 1960's shape

I helped my nephew set up his 5th wheel triple axel race car hauler, it has a small machine shop with a milling machine, metal lathe, air compressor, generator, welder and small kitchen and sleeping area and 2 pull outs.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Carl Jacobson, a very good woodturner that has a channel on Youtube, has a video on the mobile workshop he built. The video was from 1 year ago and titled "shop remodel"
I was going to say the same thing. I saw his trailer at one of the symposiums, I forgot which one. Great little setup., Looked like a lunch wagon, big window included for chips to fly out of, LOL

Back