• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Minwax rattle can spray lacquer

I don't use lacquer often, but sometimes it's the finish I want or I'm in a huge hurry. I used to use Deft rattle can, but it was unsatisfactory--the coverage was variable and it would periodically deposit a glop of lacquer on a nicely finished piece. A friend suggested the spray lacquer from Craftsupplies, Masters Magic, which had a more uniform and somewhat more controllable spray output, and rarely shot a glop.

Recently, I ran out of the Masters Magic and couldn't get any from Craftsupplies in time to finish a piece prior to a club meeting. I picked up a can of Minwax Spray Lacquer from one of the big box stores without much confidence. Holy smokes, what a change from the old Deft. The spray was robust and uniform without being excessive, the odor was surprisingly low, it has a turnable nozzle, the repeat coats melted together well, and it was not super shiny or plasticy. The result was very, very good, and No Glop! Maybe rattle can technology has evolved to be a realistic option.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
I’ve had the same experience. Used to used Deft, and was mostly satisfied. Then it just disappeared from everywhere. I tried Watco and Rustoleum, but their nozzles are abysmal. Someone turned me onto Minwax, and wow! Excellent nozzle.

I have been using the Bulls Eye spray lacquer for years. It is okay, but not great. Mostly for the insides of the threaded boxes I make. It dries with no scent. I might have to try the Minwax stuff. I did try some rattle can acrylic and couldn't get a satisfactory finish...

robo hippy

Kent Weakly at www.turnawoodbowl.com has an article on spray lacquers. He states that the box store rattle can lacquers aren't high enough quality (you can read the article for details). He recommends buying spray lacquer from cabinet and furniture maker suppliers.

I use rattle can Mohawk pre-cat lacquer. I get it from Klingspor. I like it better than any other lacquer I have used. I have used Deft, Watco, and MinWax lacquers, but the Mohawk has been better.

Doing a little research, I find a product called "Minwax Brushing Lacquer Spray" which looks identical to the lacquer marketed as "Minwax Clear Aerosol Spray"
Brushing lacquer in a spray can seems like a contradiction in terms. Is there a difference?

As I understand it, brushing lacquer has retardants that slow the drying/curing process. I agree with you that this would not be what a spray lacquer should do.

I use rattle can Mohawk pre-cat lacquer. I get it from Klingspor. I like it better than any other lacquer I have used. I have used Deft, Watco, and MinWax lacquers, but the Mohawk has been better.
I used Mohawk for many years and then the price shot WAY up…. It was something like $5 a can 3-4 years ago…. Ahh the good old days…

I used Mohawk for many years and then the price shot WAY up…. It was something like $5 a can 3-4 years ago…. Ahh the good old days…
Not sure what you mean about price. I just bought some from Klingspor for $10 a can. I also bought a box of foam sanding pads and total shipping for all was $10. Last time I looked at the BORG MinWax and Watco was like $13 a can.

Back