• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Minor wood gloat

As I pass this one yard in my neighborhood, I've been watching a Silver Dollar Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus cinerea but also known as Eucalyptus polyanthemos) decline over the past couple of years. They finally decided to cut it down. I made so bold as to knock on the door and ask if I could get a couple of chunks. They said "Take as much as you want, that's less that we have to haul to the curb." So I got as much as I could that wasn't too rotten.

The two pieces in the lower left corner of the pic is Indian Rosewood (Dalbergia sissoo) that I got for helping with a milling at Viable Lumber one weekend.

I'm going to use the quarter pieces of Eucalyptus for ornaments or hair sticks or other small items (finials?). Unless someone wants to trade some Yankee wood for some Eucalyptus.

Attachments

• eucalyptus-1.JPG
    eucalyptus-1.JPG
    469.6 KB · Views: 96
  • eucalyptus-2.JPG
    eucalyptus-2.JPG
    444.2 KB · Views: 84
Website
www.docwks.com
Good luck with the Silver Dollar Eucalyptus, I've turned a few pieces and lets just say it like to move..a lot. FWIW :)

Back