• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

milling problem

Hey guys,

I've recently come into a large piece of meat that I need to mill down to more managable pieces and was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to go about that. It's pretty big and awkward and I really need to get it taken care of as quickly as possible.

Dietrich

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
dkulze said:
Hey guys,

I've recently come into a large piece of meat that I need to mill down to more managable pieces and was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to go about that. It's pretty big and awkward and I really need to get it taken care of as quickly as possible.

Dietrich
Could you provide some dimensions? In a perfect world, what would you like to get out of the "meat" (bowl, vase blanks)? What kind of wood? Some require different approaches. That would help to determine how to proceed.
To start with, I would suggest AnchorSeal on the ends, right away. That really buys you some time.

Last edited:
Well, it's about 5 1/2 feet long and weighs about 140lbs. I'm hoping to get it down to pieces no longer than 18" or so and no more than, say 10lbs, though that will be tough for the middle section. I'm more worried about spatter than anything else. I mean I don't want any mess in my shop that might smell or show up later.

dietrich

dkulze said:
I've recently come into a large piece of meat
Do you really mean "meat". If so, I always use a carpenter's hand saw and a boning knife. An old shower curtain makes a sturdy drip cloth to protect the floor.

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
dkulze said:
Well, it's about 5 1/2 feet long and weighs about 140lbs. I'm hoping to get it down to pieces no longer than 18" or so and no more than, say 10lbs, though that will be tough for the middle section. I'm more worried about spatter than anything else. I mean I don't want any mess in my shop that might smell or show up later.

dietrich
Does "it" have a name?
:eek: I think you need help that can't really be found on this site :eek:

I tried the shower curtain and saw but it's too big a job, Brian. And I'm really under some time pressure here. I mean, the weekend's almost over and people will be expecting to see.. Well, I'll have to be at work tomorrow so...

Never mind, guys. I'll figure something out.

Thanks,
Dietrich

P.S. (welcome to April)

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Here in Texas ....

Here in Texas, the chainsaw is the "instrument" of choice. By any chance, have you done this before? You have me worried that you might be one of those serial wood scavengers. I bet that you even get some sort of sick pleasure out of it as you take its parts and make spindles out of them.

Large piece of meat

dkulze said:
Hey guys,

Dietrich

What is it, a mastadon????? :D Gretch

Website
www.token.crwoodturner.com
A bit late on the reply, but for future reference (364 days from now, maybe?) I'd stick it in the freezer overnight then take it to the bandsaw.
You can tack templates to the slab made from cheap plywood paneling to get the proper shapes. Be sure to seperate and save the "sawdust", it makes great petfood.

Attachments

• beef.png
    beef.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 191
Website
www.gvpencheff.com
dkulze said:
I've recently come into a large piece of meat that I need to mill down to more managable pieces and was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to go about that.
When you were a kid your parents used to describe you as "our strange little boy" didn't they?

Website
www.token.crwoodturner.com
George Van said:
Ken, where's the antlers?????
George, wouldn't you agree that those easterners have some pretty odd hunting seasons? ;)
Look, it's a 6 pointer!

Attachments

• beef2.jpg
    beef2.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 102
Was more worried about leaving forensic evidence than anything else but we're okay now. She woke up just after midnight.

dietrich

Rotflol

You mean it was something like this, only with horns?

You may try using just "Anchor" instead of Anchor-Seal though...My cousin Nikki in Brooklyn says it works well...

Attachments

• Bride.gif
    Bride.gif
    7 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Now if you can just superimpose that cutting chart on the bride..........

Dietrich :D

(or, in my wife's case, on a figure of a groom)

Back