• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

micro tools

A friend decided turning wasn't for him so he gifted me these when he found out I had ordered a small lathe.

Can they be sharpened with the wolverine set-up or do I need to start practicing my freehand sharpening? I'm not at home otherwise I'd just experiment and find out, but I kind of don't want to ruin the grind on them.

Sorby micro set and a crown pen set.

Attachments

• PXL_20240917_141759799.jpg
    PXL_20240917_141759799.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 31
Well, I am the wrong person to ask, but I sharpen on a platform which does have more room, or at least makes it easier to sharpen smaller tools. I picked up a set of old Glaser mini tools at an estate sale and I don't think they would fit in jigs.

robo hippy

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
do I need to start practicing my freehand sharpening?
I think you will. We have a micro gouge and the tool is too short to get a 1.75” protrusion from the verigrind.
Yours may be longer

kind of don't want to ruin the grind on them.
The scrapers and skews you would do on a platform any way.
The gouges you can easily do a traditional grind on the platform by keep the tool square to the wheel and rolling it.

To get a fingernail grind there are several techniques.
I use a technique David Ellsworth showed us in a class in the mid nineties.

My advice is to learn and practice on a larger gouge 1/2 “ Or 3/8”. In my experience 1/4” and smaller tools are harder to sharpen because a slight hesitation on the wheel eats up a lot of steel.

I use the platform to support my hand and for the whole sharpening the tool is kept square to the wheel.
1. I rest the center bevel on the wheel starting with the heel and lifting the handle until the cutting edge comes in contact ( sparks will break on the cutting edge)

2. I roll the tool left and right 30 degrees or so to smooth the bevel and round the nose ( sparks break on the

3. I sharpen the wing with 2-3 more passes where I roll the tool to 90 degrees while pushing the tool up the wheel so that the cutting edge stays in contact with the wheel ( sparks breaking at the cutting edge)

This is the step 3

Spindle gouge fingernail freehand.GIF

Have fun
Be safe

Last edited:
I have a Sorby mini bowl gouge. I don't use it a lot, but so far I have just touched it up with a diamond card as needed. I usually just need it to get a finishing pass on a small area. I would still use a bigger tool for bulk removal.

I didn't even think of the tool not being long enough for the jig. I don't think my buddy ever sharpened them because they are very dull but I also don't think they were used much, probably just until dull.

I doubt a diamond card will bring them back though.

Back