• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Makita R/A drill for interior sanding?

I have a battery operated Makita right angle drill I hope to use for sanding bowls on the lathe. Seeking recommendations for sanding pads? arbor?

Forgive the terminology, respond to what I MEANT to say =0)

Website
www.blacklabelwoodworks.com
I have been very please with the green wave discs from Woodturners Wonders. They seem to last a long time and are both wavy and oversized to work on the interior of bowls.

Out of all the discs I have tried, the blue ones from Vince seem to best deal for price and durability, and I prefer the over sized discs. I can get several bowls out of one set of discs. I do prefer an angle drill to a right angle drill, and use the Milwaukee angle drills. There are cheap ones available, but I prefer one that is worth having rebuilt from time to time rather than toss it away. Slow sanding speeds on both lathe and drill. It is a traction thing. Too fast and you send dust everywhere, but don't move too far. Slower speeds give your abrasives time to dig in and cut, and don't generate heat. I did try a battery version of an angle drill, and the battery didn't last for one bowl. I think the plug in variety is far better.

robo hippy

The mirka mesh discs are a bit more expensive. They last so long and save me some time. I believe they are cost effective in the long run. I also like the result.

For the arbor and pads using Woodturners Wonders Roloc system with a foam interface pad, like Rusty showed above.

My use by grit:
  • 80-120 Mirka Abranet mesh - are great at lower grits, the mesh doesn't clog easily can be knocked to loosen any sawdust in the mesh, last a long time.
  • 150, 180, 240, 320 - 3 3/8" Vince's green flex disc. Similar to the blue a little more aggressive at these grits than the blue
  • 400 and up - 3 3/8" Vince's blue flex disc.
  • I also use some Mirka Gold for non-power sanding. It is the best but expensive and does not come in 3" oversized which I prefer for power sanding.
  • Mirka Abranet 500-4000 - for rubbing out finish, after 4000 use a compound. Pneumatic random orbital used instead of drill

I have been very please with the green wave discs from Woodturners Wonders. They seem to last a long time and are both wavy and oversized to work on the interior of bowls.
I haven't had such luck. I had gotten low on a number of grits so I ordered a bunch over a year ago.. but I am about to chuck $50 worth. they won't stay on a pad. I have plenty of pads to try them with as well as Klingspor disc's to compare to. Now I will say that the ones I bought were lower grits 80,100,120 (what I needed at the time) but the backing just doesn't have the holding power. I thought perhaps they would be suited to higher grits but I'm going back to Klingspor.

I love Vince's Wooden Wonder blue discs and his interface pads. But as for that Makita drill, I'd say save it for more dignified work. Sanding ruins drills regardless of how good they are. You can go through 5 or 6 harbor freight right angle drills for what that one Makita costs.

Back