• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Major Award?

I am trying to select 3 to 4 'Art' shows this year where I can exhibit my work. Finding and jurying into shows that fit the business and family schedule is a small challenge. One show I am interested in has the opener of "to jury the artist must have received a major award in the last three years. Major being described as best of show, first, second, honorable mention". They add don't send proof 'we'll check'. I have a freind on the host comittee encouraging me to try to enter but I doubt she has any mojo with the jury.

So do you guys that do Art shows think I can snow them with my second place in the "Layered Bowls" contest here.

I'm probably out of my league but 'ye have not lest ye ask'.

Frank

Website
www.mikecunninghamwoodturner.com
Yep

Hi Frank,

Sounds to me like your award fits the criteria, you took second place. Major is in the eyes of the beholder or in this case turner. It's a major award to you, let them check if they like, it's true. Go for it.

"to jury the artist must have received a major award in the last three years. Major being described as best of show, first, second, honorable mention". They add don't send proof 'we'll check'.

Mike

Frank,
Your "award" certainly seems sufficiently "major" to me. Go for it. If they say "No", you haven't lost anything. Especially since the hassle of "checking" is their problem and not yours. Good luck!

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Frank That's the first time I've heard of that for entering juried craft shows. I would go ahead and enter. They could be on the up and up.

Thanks Guys, The more I think about it, the more I think the line is just self serving drama to make the event look as big and as important as possible.
Frank

Website
www.ispinwood.com
GO FOR IT FRANK!

Whats to loose except being turned down. YOu certainly sound willing. There isn't enough people willing to show their work and take honest criticism. We need to do this in order to expand woodturning knowledge.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Frank Kobilsek said:
Thanks Guys, The more I think about it, the more I think the line is just self serving drama to make the event look as big and as important as possible.
Frank
I think that yo may be correct unless they have a lot of time and personnel to independently verify everything -- or -- the show is very small.

Bill

S. Clark said:
GO FOR IT FRANK!

Whats to loose except being turned down. You certainly sound willing. There isn't enough people willing to show their work and take honest criticism. We need to do this in order to expand woodturning knowledge.

You stand to loose your jury fee of $25-$50.....Many art shows and festivals have a large percentage of returning exhibitors, which leaves far fewer available spaces for new applicants. Award criteria aside, Jury fees are a cash cow for many festivals and shows. Read some of the artist forums. You will see that, for example, if a festival has 200 booth spaces available, there may be 1500 applications. And, of those 200 available spaces, 60-70 are invited artists and award winners from past years. This leaves about 130 or so slots available for new applicants in all mediums. Unless your work is of exceptional quality, sometimes the jury never notices. Juries tend to be academics that don't ever take into consideration what the buying public is looking for, only the "look" of the show.

Just my thoughts and experience...whatever that is worth!!!!!

Back