• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Maine wood source?

I know there is a turning club that meets at the Woodcraft store in Portsmouth NH. Other than that, no clue. I was out there in May. Saw a lot of nice wood. Never did get to check out a guy down the road in Berwick who had a saw mill....

robo hippy

Reasonable and burl usually don't meet in the same sentence. Not an abundance of hardwoods in Maine. Huge rocks and pine trees are what the glacier left from scraping by. Some of the beaches aren't even sand since sand is scarce. Beautiful white pine back in the day. You could find 3' wide pieces slabs back in the early 1970s, but that stuff is rare now. My wife was born in Maine and we traveled there many times. Never bought a stick of wood there, but lots of antique flat woodworking tools. In California you could buy burl at roadside stands, in Maine you buy lobster at road side stands.

Back