• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Magnets around headstock or VFD

I love my Grizzly G0766 lathe but would like a larger area on top of the headstock for placing things.

Would using a couple of strong rare earth magnets on top of the headstock affect the built in speed sensor?

Also since the Grizzly has a metal box that surrounds the Delta VFD I was thinking of using magnets to mount a vertical board where I would place the controls for the vacuum chuck. Would the magnets affect the VFD?

One of my lathes is the G0766, and I have both a large magnetic parts tray, and a strong magnetic base lamp on my headstock. No problems whatsoever with either causing a problem. My parts tray is to the handwheel side of the headstock on the front rear corner and my magnetic lamp base is near the spindle.

Wouldn't think the magnets would affect the lathe controls.
Off topic but a tip- I use masking tape to put a rare earth magnet on a pencil. Stick them anywhere the magnet will stick!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
.... would like a larger area on top of the headstock for placing things. .....
There is a safety risk in placing items on top of the headstock. Vibration can cause things to fall into a spinning turning and get hurled towards you. My first lathe (Delta 46-715) had a flat recess area on top of the headstock with a shallow rubber tray as shown below. Being a beginner who didn't know better, I figured that anything that I placed there would stay there. However this lathe was very prone to vibrating and putting things there turned out to be a not so good idea. After a chuck key fell off and hit a spinning chuck and then went sailing across the room I quit putting stuff on top of the headstock while turning.

delta1440crop.jpg

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
If you want to put stuff on your lathe, it's ok......but, follow some basic rules for doing it. I have stuff all over my lathe, because quick access to things means better flow of the work. The one basic rule that I follow, is whatever I put on my lathe, it MUST remain there with the full force of 150lb of air blast. If it survives that, it'll stay put while turning. :D

I have an accessory table that mounts between the bedways......and many magnets on the headstock. There are other magnets just about everywhere you can imagine! :rolleyes: If you'll notice, there is a steel plate on top of the headstock that is movable. I have many magnets permanently mounted on the top of the headstock, and that steel plate is held in place by these magnets. The steel plate can be positioned forward or back, or side to side.....whatever the need at the moment. This helps a great deal to help position the lamps better.

(There are more things clinging to the lathe now, but I used this 5-year old photo, because it's less cluttered, and shows what I'm talking about a little better! :eek:)

-----odie-----
Shop September 2014 (2).JPG

The pencil on the lathe is on the end, under the thingy I use to slow the headstock. Not in the way to interfere with anything on the lathe. Got enough pencils in the shop to outfit an elementary school. Have some that my kids had 35-40 years ago.

Back