• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Magnetic Thickness Gauge

Someone posted in a thread showing a magnetic thickness checker that uses a small steel ball on the opposite side. I cant find the thread. I wanted to research the device. Any help?

Looked it up on Pat Carroll's website. I placed it in the order box. Price came up as 270 Euros. Have no idea of the shipping costs.

Being an instrument builder, I'm quite familiar with these. The older version (what I have) is called a Hacklinger Guage. It's a magnetic/mechanical device. Not sure if it's still available, but a few years ago they were a bit north of $200. There's an electronic version called the Magic Probe. It's a bit more than the Hacklinger Guage, but not rediculously so.

Doug, if you get one and try it out, would you post on here an explanation of how it works?
Absolutely… but dont hold your breath. At north of $200 I wont be participating. I will research it to understand it better. I have many calipers that work well, and an excellent bottom thickness gauge using a laser that I cobbled together, so I have better uses for that kind of $. The use of the technology in this application is interesting.

Would the different wood densities give one a different reading?
No. They use a hall effect sensor that uses the magnetic field change caused by the distance the rare earth magnet is located (the ball in this case). Any non magnetic material can be checked.

Back