• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

looking at the G0456 grizzly lathe

I am thinking strongly about buying this lathe. It is 2hp, 1 1/2 spindle,variable speed, 20'' swing ,weighs 633 pounds. What do you think? will I be sorry.
The slowest speed is 300rpm

Grizzly Lathe

With the specs - sounds like Grizzly's counterpart to my PM 3520 (weight, Swing etc). Not quite the variable speed. PM goes down to 80.

You will have to start with much more balanced blanks, since the low speed is 300.

You also have a 1 1/2 x 8 spindle. Talon, Supernova and the smaller VicMark chucks do not show an insert for this size. You will have to use a Stronghold, large VicMark or other large heavy chuck. I don't know if you can buy the insert for the larger chuck and use in on the smaller chuck in the same family. Someone else may know.

'Course I'm biased, but I would be concerned about having to go to such a large chuck on everything.

John

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Additionally, the web-site says minimum RPM is 500, the new catalog says 300, the old catalog said 800. Find out which it is.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Here's a link, plus picture of your prospective lathe:
http://grizzly.com/products/G0456

-------------------------------------------------

woodman92....

I suppose you put this online for comment. Sorry to be negative, but here's my thoughts....

A 12" disc sander looks like it was something put on there by some engineer that doesn't use a lathe. I'd rather have the convenience of a hand wheel. Also, it looks like the 12" disc will prevent you from using a "knock-out" rod to remove anything you put into the #2 Morse taper of the head stock. If you have a vacuum chuck on the wish list, it may effect that accessory's application, too.

The specifications are great. 20" over the bedways, and 24" over the gap is terrific.....but, I'd rather not have a gap bed lathe. That gap may add to impressive specifications, but it prevents you from positioning your tool rest on the backside of your turning......something I appreciate very much.

The slowest I can go on my step pulley Woodfast lathe is 370, and if truth be known, I'd prefer something even slower than that. The Grizzly website lists their lathe at 500rpm.

I have a Grizzly 20" planer and 16" bandsaw, and am happy with both.....so, I'm not down on Grizzly. Their customer service has been very good.

--------------------------------------------------

If I were in the market for a new lathe, I'd look at the Vicmarc VL300 series. It has a 24" capacity over the bedways. More expensive?....well, yes it is.....but, your lathe isn't the place to scrimp! When I bought my Woodfast 16" lathe about 17yrs ago, it was priced about $2000 before shipping costs. I didn't have much money, and I practically had to pay for it in blood!......but now, as I look back with 20/20 hindsight, it was one of the best investments I've ever made! Woodturning has become something that brings satisfaction in life for me. There is no amount of money that can buy that.

I don't have $4,000 to buy a new quality lathe, but if I were to buy one right now, I'd just put it on the plastic card and figure out a way to pay it off.

....odie

Last edited:

KEW

stnick said:
You also have a 1 1/2 x 8 spindle. Talon, Supernova and the smaller VicMark chucks do not show an insert for this size. You will have to use a Stronghold, large VicMark or other large heavy chuck. I don't know if you can buy the insert for the larger chuck and use in on the smaller chuck in the same family. Someone else may know.
John

My PM90 also has a 1-1/2 by 8 tpi spindle. The Oneway Stronghold fits it. You may also be able to get ahold of an old Original Nova chuck. You cannot get (or have machined) an insert for a SN2 or Talon as the 1-1/2 diameter either exceeds or is too close to the size of the chuck threads that receive the insert.

Also, if you go with this lathe, give some thought to broadening the stance (depth) of the stand.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
I downloaded the manual... the speed range is 500 to 2000 rpm. Too fast for bowl turning, to slow for pens/pencils and lace bobbins. That alone is enough for me to give it a pass.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Look at the Grizzly G0632. It is a much more user friendly lathe than the model your looking at. It is a copy of the Jet 1642 which has proven itself to be a very good lathe. The common thread size, is better, the speed range is better and I really love the sliding head which is the same as my Powermatic. It says also that the headstock rotates, which is something the jet doesn't do.
I have to agree, the disc sander attachment was done by some engineer trying for the wizbang, award. It's not very pratical on the lathe. Off the lathe it's great.

woodman92

Thanks for all the replys guys, The reason that I am thinking about a new lathe is I just got an old rockwell delta lathe given to me. It came from an old high school, it has the original rockwell motor on it probably about 60 years old. It is weak (1hp) My nova 3000 that I had was 1hp and had much more power ,you can't even turn a bowl on this lathe it would take forever it is sooooo weak. So I thought that this motor is probably lost its power through the years, so I would put a new 2hp on it but I will still just have the 12 '' swing that will limit my turning. But this is a heavy built lathe 5 or 6 hundred pounds ,1'' spindle its just weak, what would you guys do???

Woodman - If you have an Old Delta lathe and the lathe in is good running order except the motor. I think I would spend the money to get a good motor and replace the motor. Use that lathe for awhile - you can make some bowls or ? and sell them and keep the money for the new lathe of your choice. Save, Save, Save. Then get the one you want without reservations.

I would not purchase the lathe of choice on your credit card and pay it off over time. The interest rate is too high.

But get the one you know will fill your needs for a long time.
Hugh

odie said:
The specifications are great. 20" over the bedways, and 24" over the gap is terrific.....but, I'd rather not have a gap bed lathe. That gap may add to impressive specifications, but it prevents you from positioning your tool rest on the backside of your turning......something I appreciate very much.

The slowest I can go on my step pulley Woodfast lathe is 370, and if truth be known, I'd prefer something even slower than that. The Grizzly website lists their lathe at 500rpm.

Gap beds will allow easy movement of toolrest front to rear and back again, depending on contour of the piece, extension of chuck or faceplate, and geometry of the banjo. Owned and used such a lathe, and posted pictures of same here. Found the gap extremely useful for working with the bowl steady as well. By far the most common use, as I don't fancy reaching around the back of things when using any tool but a sander.

Can't say I use the speed below 360 much on my lathe. Most of what I turn can be given a rough balance at the bandsaw, and I find even with constant repetition of "no push, no push," I have more of a tendency to follow under at real low speeds. 360 is just about the right compromise between my reaction time and return of the high spot to avoid getting under and digging in.

Not sure if the changing specs represent changes in the lathe or merely the advertising copy, but it is a reason to be cautious about buying sight unseen. My experience with Grizzly has been similar to yours, an obliging company willing to issue replacements. Problem in that they seemed so often necessary, and involved the castings themselves on several occasions, though not on a lathe.

Website
www.simoli.net
I had the Griz 1495. It made so much noise that I decided to trade it in for a Jet. The Griz rattled at the tail stock, tool holder and the door to the motor cabin. I even loaded down the lathe with 300lbs of sand. This lathe had the reeves drive which also contributed to the noise. Overall I'm not negative on the Griz products but the lathe is one that I would not get.

Had a wood lathe from Big Green and a still use one of their metal lathes at work (only when I have to).

The are on the one hand remarkable for all the features and specs for the amazing low, low price. On the other hand the detail and workmanship was/is woeful. There is no better example of "you get what you pay for" than Big Green.

I once removed the headstock on the wood lathe to fix the lock-down mechanism and found a layer of sand (left over from casting) and rust inside. The lock-down was not fixable (low-grade parts) so I had to bolt the headstock to the bed to stabilize the headstock.

On the metal lathe there is a considerable amount of bondo-type filler to dress up the casting. I know because it is chipping off around numerous bolt holes and wear points.

The hardware is lame on both machines. The Phillips head screws are pretty much for the initial assembly only. If you remove one, plan on the head stripping. The tailstock lock down will require constant readjustment as the parts stretch from the clamping stress and creep out of adjustment.

And so on, and so on. Virtually every part on both machines was made with the "good enough" philosophy. They sure looked good in the pictures though!

I eventually sold the wood lathe and bought a Jet 1642VS. The difference is amazing!

I can't say don't buy a Green one if that is all you can afford. It's better than nothing. (How's that for an endorsment!) If nothing else, I consider it my obligation to give you a head's up on what you might be getting.

Think about the very idea of good quality and lowest price. It simply can’t be.

Last edited:
Back