• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Lesson learned (long but worth it)

This is my first post on this forum after lurking for well over a year. I thought that the lesson learned here could be of some value to turners everywhere.

A little over a week ago another member of the Arizona Woodturners Association let a couple of us locals know that the City of Tempe was going to remove several large Mesquite trees from the side of the road. 4 of us hooked up on Thursday afternoon to cut the trunks left by the city crew into managable pieces and to haul it off.

About an hour into cutting I was in the middle of cutting an 18" log into pieces about 18" long when a car driving past at 45+ MPH threw a large sized fast food cup out the window and directly at me. I had my back turned to the road and never saw it coming. It struck me full force on my right side just above my hip and right below my ribs. The force of the impact nearly knocked me off my feet and had the chainsaw I was using at the time not been buried deep in the log who know what other injuries may have been sustained. The car continued driving and everything happened so fast we were unable to get a licence plate number.

This photo was taken a couple of hours later, the impact of the bottom of the cup is clearly visable. It's now 4 days later and my side is still bruised up pretty good.

What I hope everyone can learn from this incident is that working that close to the road we should have had a lookout, we all know and trust each other but it's the people you don't know that are the real wildcard.

Jason

Attachments

• IMG_0176b.jpg
    IMG_0176b.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 518
:mad: Low-life cretins probably thought you were an interesting target. Wouldn't hurt for the lookout to have a camera handy, as well as a sledge hammer with a short handle (for easier throwing); 8-10 lbs. ought to be about right.

Joe

Website
www.simoli.net
As a road biker I have had several incidents like that too. It's just amazing what people think of. The worst one is where a guy tried to hit me with a bottle.

I've had this happen while working out along the road. Most of the time I'm by myself when it happens. Usually, it's young kids (that for 20 years we have not been allowed to beat thier ... when they needed it) that do this. I'll never know why. They think it's funny or something. I hope you heal up ok. I also hope you can catch these guys. They deserve anything that happens to them.

GA Darling

GA Darling said:
They deserve anything that happens to them.

Those are the kinda guys that not only risk everyone elses saftey, but inadvertantly risk there own with there silly stunts! It eventually catches up with them!!!! Hope you heal up!!!

This could have been a real disaster, glad you "only" have a bruise to show for it. I don't know why punks think people on the side of the road make good targets.

I teach school for a living but am also a surveryor part time. I still spend an occasional summer working for an asphalt company and spend many hours along the road or in the middle of it. When in the middle we used to just use cones and flagman but these days we almost always have to pay an off-duty cop to just sit there with his blue lights going to protect us. We have had equipment run over, things thrown (and more disgusting than a cup), guns aimed and fired, etc. People know that I spend a lot of time in the shop and will says somethig about it beign dangerous, but it is a heck of lot safer than being on the highway! Punks . . . . :cool:

My road story

About 25 years ago, I tried to ride my bicycle from Portland, Oregon to San Francisco. All through Oregon, people couldn't have been nicer. A couple campsites wouldn't take our money because we were on bikes. The first day we were in California, we were run completely off the road by pickup trucks. The second one crossed the middle line from the other direction, and came into our lane just to make sure we got the message. The shotgun hanging in a rack just behind the driver's head made any protests on our parts seem particularly unwise. I've wondered over the years, just how many people have been seriously injured or lost their lives in this way.

Back