• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Leopard wood sanding checks

Anyone having experience with Leopard wood sanding ? I am doing a small bowl and the outside after sanding to 600 grt , the rays are showing small checks parallel with the rays, I ran outside air over the lathe with my dust collector to keep the heat down ( using infrared temp gauge) and it did not heat up significantly. Is the check like surface normal? This bowl is for a private collection but do not want to buy half the Aussie forest to get one bowl and do not want to spend a lot of time on this if I cannot resolve the check issue. Thanks for any helpful insight!

Chips,

I wish I could help you. I currently have a series of Leopardwood lidded vessels under way - finish to P400 and have not noticed any checking at all.

I will be interested to hear if anyone else has the problem.

Back