• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Laguna 17/47 lathe

drh

Laguna 18/47 lathe

Has anyone bought the new laguna 18/47 yet and if so, what do you think of it? I'm going into Laguna Tools in a couple weeks to look at it. I've read all the threads on woodturners resource, generally sounds positive.

The only negative I can see is the tail stock has only 2.5" of travel compared to 4" on Jet and Powermatic. Is that a huge concern? And it's made in China. Where's the Jet and Powermatic made, China or Taiwan?

http://www.woodturnersresource.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1193174775/97#97

Last edited:
Might be a problem. I like to keep the tailstock supporting until very late in the game, and the combination of short travel and back-slanted tailstock will steal a bit of handle room. Only other beef I have with it is the centered toolpost on the banjo. I've become spoiled by my Nova.

Neither would be a deal-breaker, that's for sure.

Only negative I can see is the tail stock has only 2.5" of travel compared to 4" on Jet and Powermatic. Is that a huge concern? And it's made in China. Where's the Jet and Powermatic made, China or Taiwan?

Seems to be a knocked-off knock-off. The reverse pitch on that tailstock gives minimal clearance to the workpiece. When coupled with a 2-1/2" travel and price at $1,700.00, I'd regard them as selling an 18" swing with componants not designed to handle 18" work pieces.

Naturally,

JMO/YMMV

Back