• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Joined the AAW

In a post re the 2016 International symposium I asked what the benefits of joining the AAW. Betty Scarpino left some encouraging words so I took a better look at the AAW and although I am a Northern Ontarian I decided why not. During the registration process I had to choose a club and the Toronto Wood Turners Guild being my closest was the one I choose it is still a 5 hour drive from where I am. I completed the registration and then went to check out the Toronto Club and noticed Betty Scarpino is doing a 1 day demo May 4 TH. Looks like I am going to get to meet Betty in person.
This will also be my first experience to learn to turn other than the internet

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
In a post re the 2016 International symposium I asked what the benefits of joining the AAW. Betty Scarpino left some encouraging words so I took a better look at the AAW and although I am a Northern Ontarian I decided why not. During the registration process I had to choose a club and the Toronto Wood Turners Guild being my closest was the one I choose it is still a 5 hour drive from where I am. I completed the registration and then went to check out the Toronto Club and noticed Betty Scarpino is doing a 1 day demo May 4 TH. Looks like I am going to get to meet Betty in person.

Welcome Sean!

I joined only a couple of weeks ago and have already learned FAR MORE than what I did from lurking and researching for several months. There is a great bunch of folks here willing to share their expertise and time.

Mark

I already have to travel to Toronto several times a year to source good bowl blanks so now I will start to make my trips when something interesting is happening at the chapter.

Sean, small world! I'm looking forward to my trip to Toronto and Ottawa. I'll be doing two one-day demos and two evening demos, visiting museums, and various sightseeing, especially the tulips in Ottawa. I've been promised they will be blooming.

I am confident you will get a lot out of your membership in the AAW. Be sure to check out all the back issues of the journal on AAW's website, all 28 years of them and counting. Sign up for the FUNdamentals to get their newsletter every other month.

Thank you for joining the AAW and see you in a few weeks.

Betty Scarpino, Editor, American Woodturner

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Welcome to the AAW Sean!

You will find that the AAW is an excellent resource for information, skill development, and contacts with chapters and expert turners from around the world. The learning opportunities you will get as a member of a woodturning club such as the Toronto Woodturners Guild will be many, and wil help you gain skill and knowledge MUCH faster than you would likely do on your own.

If you don't mind driving another 5 hours beyond Toronto, the AAW's 2015 International Symposium will be held in Pittsburgh, and will likely be one of the most well-attended woodturning symposia ever held.

If you can't wait that long, you can register for the 2014 Symposium in Phoenix right now, and enjoy this event with us as a new member of the group!

Rob Wallace

Back