• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jet Variable Speed Grinder?

Does anybody here have experience with the Jet 8" variable speed grinder? I am curious if it gets right up to speed quickly, or is it a slow 10-15 second build up?

I googled it and it says in specs that it has a 1 hp motor. If it doesn't get up to speed, with 2 1 1/2 inch D Way wheels in about 3 seconds, there is some thing wrong with it... That is about 'getting up to speed' time for my 1 hp Rikon, and 3/4 hp Baldor.

robo hippy

You got me curious as to how long mine takes to get up to speed. I just tested it. It is a Wen 1/2 hp with an AO white wheel on one side and a steel CBN 1.5" wide wheel on the other. It took 7 seconds to get up to speed. I can easily live with that.

We all know how 'standards' for motors are highly variable. my old 3/4 hp blue no name grinder from Woodcraft, many years ago drew more amps than my 3/4 hp Baldor, but the Baldor had about twice the power... go figure....

robo hippy

Back