• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jet 1642 tapping noise in the headstock

Website
www.gvpencheff.com
My Jet 1642 is one year and four months old. I've used it a good bit in the past year but haven't abused it, unless you consider coring blanks with a McNaughton center saver as abuse :rolleyes: Tonight as I was turning some christmas ornaments it started making a tapping noise. Grrrr! I did my best to isolate the noise and it sounds like it's coming from the rear of the headstock. Maybe the rear bearings are going out? Has anyone else had this problem?

I just looked through the manual and the procedure for changing the bearings doesn't look very difficult. Also the part number, 6205ZZ, appears to be a fairly common bearing and is readily available from a multitude of websites. But I know squat about bearings and don't want to buy and install junk due to ignorance.

Suggestions and/or advice is welcome!

Website
www.burntchimneystudios.com
Greg,

The 1642 is similar to the Powermatic 3520 and a friend had a similar problem with his PM when it was new. Check and see if the set screws in the pulleys are tight and maybe snug them up a bit. As I remember it, this solved his PM problems. If the set screws are loose, make sure that the pulleys are aligned before you tighten them.

I hope that this solves your problem.

Last edited:
I had a Jet 1442 start doing the same thing. It was a pulley set screw that had loosened up. Easy fix.

If that doesn't solve it, then give tech support a call before you start taking things apart. They've been knowledgeable and helpful when I've called in the past. Aren't you still under warranty?

Ed

Website
www.gvpencheff.com
Solution!

Ed Moore said:
Check and see if the set screws in the pulleys are tight and maybe snug them up a bit.
Thanks Ed! You hit it on the head. One of the set screws in the spindle pulley had loosened up a bit. One twist with a hex wrench and problem solved. :D

That's a relief! Thanks for all who responded!

This is a great example of what this is all about. Turners helping turners. I learn something every time I log on. Thanks for all the great help.

NB - bearings roll, so they growl or squeal. Thumps mean it isn't rolling, it's hitting. Make tightening of your grub screws a regular part of your clean and adjust routine, and you may never have to replace a cheap cast pulley destroyed by a hardened shaft and key. DAMHIKT, let's just say that not all thumps are from bad joints in the drive belt.

Includes the ones in your chuck inserts in this routine as well. Especially if you reverse your lathe for whatever perceived gain. You can munge threads fast.

Website
www.gvpencheff.com
MichaelMouse said:
NB - bearings roll, so they growl or squeal. Thumps mean it isn't rolling, it's hitting.
Like I said, I know squat about bearings. Which leads to this question:

When I thought the tapping noise might be coming from the bearings I did an internet search for "6205ZZ" which returned dozens of hits. Most of the prices I found were in the $3 to $6 per bearing price range. Seemed pretty cheap to me. I then l went to the WMH tool group site and found that Jet wants $27 for the same part.

Would any old 6205ZZ bearing do the job? Are all 6205ZZ bearings equivalent or is the 5-times-as-expensive one from WMH five times better?

Greg,

Can't speak directly to your bearing question can only relay what happened to me on parts with AMF(another industry.) They carried in their parts list a bolt at $38 a box (25 years ago). The exact same bolt from a local bolt distributor (same brand on the box) was $6.50. So I wouldn't at all be surprised they have a 5 or 6 times markup on the bearings.

Stoppy

pencheff said:
Would any old 6205ZZ bearing do the job? Are all 6205ZZ bearings equivalent or is the 5-times-as-expensive one from WMH five times better?

The number's the size, not the "grade" as I understand it. But the price and the ship from JET are highway robbery no matter what.

Standard evaluation for bearings is to listen with something like a regular stethoscope or the "mechanic's stethoscope" which is a screwdriver anchored to the housing and with the handle touching the pinna of your ear to transmit vibration. It'll rumble well.

Back