• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jet 1642 EVS wouldn't start until I...

Website
www.gvpencheff.com
We've had two days and nights of intermittent heavy thunderstorms here in Lancaster and the power has gone out in this neighborhood several times, most recently overnight.

After resetting all the clocks in the house, I went out to the shop to work, pulled the red button on my Jet and ... nothing. Digital RMP display is reading zero. Uh oh. Push the button off, pull on... nothing. Crank the speed control, toggle the direction switch, nothing. Unplug the power, wait a bit, plug it back in, try again... nothing. Big UH, OH. Spin the spindle by hand and the RMP readout does work. ?? Scratching my head I locate the manual, check the troubleshooting guide. As expected, no useful information.

Then it dawned on me to check the Ground Fault Interrupt on the outlet. I know some people have reported that their variable speed controllers will not work at all on a GFI protected outlet but I always poo-pooed that because mine works fine. I don't understand why the motor won't spin if the circuit is supplying voltage but I reset the GFI switch on the outlet anyway and, ta daaa! I'm back in business and nothing appears amiss.

Just wanted to share this bit of arcane knowledge. Back to work!

GFI and the Jet

I am one of the people that had that trouble with my 1642 plugged into a GFI circuit. The GFI kicked out as soon as I pulled the red button. Replaced the GFI with a new one, but had the same result. Finally solved the issue by moving the GFI downstream of the lathe.

I am puzzled by your case though. When the GFI I have kicks out, there is no power at all --- and no digital display.

Glad to hear your problem was quickly solved and you are back in business.
Charlie M

Same problem with my 1642 and the same solution. I also have my dust system collected via X10 appliance module to start remotely. With the lathe running, the remote won't work. So I always have to start the dust collection before the lathe.

Charlie M said:
I am one of the people that had that trouble with my 1642 plugged into a GFI circuit. The GFI kicked out as soon as I pulled the red button. Replaced the GFI with a new one, but had the same result. Finally solved the issue by moving the GFI downstream of the lathe.

I am puzzled by your case though. When the GFI I have kicks out, there is no power at all --- and no digital display.

Glad to hear your problem was quickly solved and you are back in business.
Charlie M

Is your 1642 wired for 220V. ? If it is, it is possible that one leg of the GFI tripped but not Both. That would explain the Tachometer working as it is not, I believe, part for the controller circuit.

Website
www.gvpencheff.com
Jake Debski said:
Is your 1642 wired for 220V. ? If it is, it is possible that one leg of the GFI tripped but not Both. That would explain the Tachometer working as it is not, I believe, part for the controller circuit.
No Jake, I have the 1 1/2 hp, 120v version of the 1642. Good info though.

I have the 220v and at times when I go to use it: nothing though the display does come up. I don't keep it plugged in when not in use so that's not the problem and it's not on a GFI. What i have found is if I unplug and replug it at times it will work. Other times if I change the speed then try it will work.

So far I have not found any rhyme or reason why it happens. It does not happen every time, it's hit and miss.

Paul

Last edited:
GFI's work by sensing leakage current. You would have to know the controller circuitry to understand the problem.

I always unplug my lathe when I'm not using it even though I don't live in an area that gets lighting or have thunder storms very often. I just feel it's cheap insurance for the controller.

Website
www.chuckswoodshed.com
On two occassions I have overloaded my 1642 and the display was still on, but the motor would not start. I had to press the off/on buttons on the inverter in back of the lathe. (I'm not sure how they are labeled, can't see back there very well the way I have my lathe set up.) Although I haven't tried it or looked it up in the manual my guess is that resetting a gfi would reset the inverter.

Have had similar experience with the 220V 1642. When it won't run I pull the breaker and leave it off for a few minutes. When the breaker is turned back on, the VFD seems to "reboot", says "click" two or three times, and it's ready to run. Our weather has been strange here lately, so I probably should be pulling the breaker every night, instead of just when I'm fairly sure thunder and lightning are headed this way.

Has anybody watched the DVD (that comes with the lathe) about the Delta brand VFD? And if so, does it give any useful information. It won't play on my old hand-me-down DVD player.

Last edited:
Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
Charlie M said:

Puzzles me too - I'd recommend that Greg check the GFI outlet for proper wiring. If it's mis-wired it's not the safety device it's meant to be. If it's found to be installed incorrectly, I'd check all the other GFIs (and maybe the regular outlets too).

Indeed sounds as though Greg's GFI is connected bass ackwards (sideways), as if it detected a leak between the cold side and ground, and interrupted the former, leaving the hot side still connected. Good advice from Owen.

The CD that came with my lathe for the Delta VFD is a programming guide for the multitude of features available. Ramp up and down rates plus various programmable inputs (such as enabling the remote speed pot, fwd/rev and emergency off switch).

Basically, you don’t need it unless you want to manage the motor some way other than the front panel controls (such as with a computer or PLC device).

BH

Website
www.gvpencheff.com
Owen Lowe said:
Puzzles me too - I'd recommend that Greg check the GFI outlet for proper wiring. If it's mis-wired it's not the safety device it's meant to be. If it's found to be installed incorrectly, I'd check all the other GFIs (and maybe the regular outlets too).
I did all the wiring myself and it all passed inspection. Yeah, it's done correctly.

Vfd Cd

Thanks B.H. Would like to tweak my VFD just a little here and there, but it's pretty much ok as is, and probably best left alone without experienced professional guidance.

Greg,
If I understood correctly, you said that you have a 120v VFD lathe that is plugged into a circuit that is supposed to be protected by a GFI, but when the GFI is "tripped" you still have power to the lathe as evidenced by the LED display on the VFD controller.

If indeed there is still power to the lathe, then that part of the circuit is not protected. It may be "upstream" of the GFI. Suggest that you "trip" the GFI by pushing the "Test" button, and then check the outlet where the lathe is plugged in with a voltmeter, or plug a lamp or drill into it and see if it works.

The fact that your VFD controller refused to run the motor may be unrelated to the GFI trip. Might be good to look into this a bit further. You can't "have power" and "not have power" at the same place at the same time, in the context of this thread. Who was it that said, when the obvious possibilities are eliminated, then whatever remains, however improbable, is the truth?

Owen,
As you said, the GFI is probably connected bass ackwards. Recently replaced a defective one in my garage and the directions were very emphatic about not connecting it bass ackwards (not their terminology).

Meanwhile, it was Sherlock Holmes in one of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's novels that said the bit about "whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth". Fans of Commander Data (the android in Star Trek, Next Generation) should know this, as Data is a big fan of Sherlock Holmes mysteries.

Personally am not a fan of electrical mysteries which can be hazardous to one's health, and hope Greg will delve into his a bit further. Have similarly just wired my own third shop, using right at 1,000 ft. of wire for 25'x30' shop and 25'x20' garage area, and certainly am not immune from making mistakes.

No criticism of any kind intended or implied here. Just concerned. Some years ago had a potentially fatal experience with someone else's supposedly "professional" wiring of a 220 circuit, so maybe am just a little paranoid.

Back