• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jet 14" Bandsaw advice needed

so here's the scoop. I need a bandsaw. I am thinking about a jet 14" closed stand bandsaw and then i am gonna get a riser block (12" resaw capacity). Woodcraft has two different Jet models. the first one is $500 and has a 1 hp motor, while the $600 model has a 1 1/4 horse motor. The question is: with the riser block will the 1 horse version be strong enough to resaw my big bowl blanks (11 11.5 inches if need be) or do i need to spend an extra hundred bucks just for the entra 1/4 horse of power? I dont know enough about motor Horsepower to fully know. In my mind, the 1 1/4 hp is 25% stronger than 1 hp (which is logistic reasoning). But for all i know, Horsepower could be a exponential figure (where that extra 1/4 hp may be the difference between sawing trees into circles or sawing 8/4 stock for the rest of my life. P.S. I have given thought to the new Rikon Deluxe 14 incher (13" resaw. 1 1/2 horse) but i cannot fully afford it. any advice will be appreciated. Also, i know this isnt the right thread section, but if you have a used bandsaw for sale let me know!
Thanks
- Jon

Last edited:
Website
www.aoturnings.com
IF you plan on using it for 11" or so blanks...I advise you to look at full size bandsaws. When you buy those you don't just get the capacity, you also get the power, premium bearing guides, better table, easier clean up, etc. that if you add up is a lot cheaper than upgrading a small bandsaw.

I see it like kids buying a small car (say a Honda Civic) and re-engineering it to be a better car. Most of the time they actually do more damage than good and still not as good as the ones that are next higher...say instead of buying an Honda Accord to begin with.

If I will buy now...this is what I'll get

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.aspx?itemnumber=G0513X

Worth looking at and comparing atleast.

Website
www.SmoothTurning.com
Jon,

I'd second Dario's suggestion. I have a 14" Grizzly G0555 bandsaw with the riser block. It has a 1 hp motor and I just spent 30 minutes on eBay considering whether I want to upgrade to a 2 HP motor.

I'd get the 17" bandsaw with 2 HP motor if it were me. When you are cutting some of these blanks whether green or dry a 14" will just take a long time to work its way through the blank and many times it will stall.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I have the Delta 14 with Riser block and 1 horse motor and it works fine for me. I'm not a production turner so speed of cut isn't a problem. I use a good sharp 3 tooth 3/8" blade and it cuts fine. I cut up some green cherry this week. It does have to work cutting though 11 inches but I just take my time. If you don't force the cut it works great.
I would love to have a heavy duty 20 saw. I have no doubt this would be easier to use, especially on larger blanks. I don't do that many large items so the price and space it occupies just doesn't justify it for me.

Dario said:
IF you plan on using it for 11" or so blanks...I advise you to look at full size bandsaws. When you buy those you don't just get the capacity, you also get the power, premium bearing guides, better table, easier clean up, etc. that if you add up is a lot cheaper than upgrading a small bandsaw.

If I will buy now...this is what I'll get

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.aspx?itemnumber=G0513X

Worth looking at and comparing atleast.

I bought the G0513X in January of 2006. In a year and a couple of months it has cut everything I've thrown its way. With the addition of a mustard lathe a couple of months ago that includes lots of 11"+ thick blanks. I replaced the OEM blade with 1/2" x 3AS Timberwolf blades. I'm very happy with my investment. I upgraded from a 12" saw and am glad I added the extra bucks and got the 17" saw.

Stoppy

If I could make a suggestion,

If you decide to go with the Jet saw, Dont get the closed stand model. Instead get one with an open stand. The closed stand holds the heat from the motor in, and has no way to cool well. If you plan on cutting for extended periods, this WILL eventually become a problem.

I would also start shopping around ebay or your local motor rebuilders for a 2hp, TEFC motor and swap the original motor out.

This is the one problem that I have with Jet BS's. They sell them as an underpowered unit. Why not bump the price up 100 bux and put a decent motor in them from the beginning?

Hope this helps.

Roger

I'm running a (un)Reliant with a riser, a plywood table extension, and a 2hp aftermarket motor(salvage motor off a larger tool). This is strictly a milling setup and wouldn't cut a clean line through paper. Will chew right through 11" wet wood, though. This is the econo-setup for cutting blanks. If you're limited on finances, it's the route I'd recommend. Going with used tools, you can have this whole settup for under $300.

If you can afford it, start with a bigger, nicer, and more powerful saw like the Rikon, though. You'll have better milling capabilities and will also have a saw that can be used for more precision resaw work.

Finally, quality of blade makes a bigger difference than most folks think. It's well worth it to pick up a single nice Timberwolf blade over 2 or 3 El Rippo, made in Afbagistan, blades.

Dietrich

I have the exact saw u are looking at ...jet 14" closed stand...I have the riser block and use 3 or 4 3/8ths tpi blades...I have done up to 11 inch blanks on this thing and as has been already said..the thicker the slower but cuts it fine for me..the only regret i have ever had is I wish i had got the quick tension release for it but might do that later.
This has been a good bang for my buck but considering all options if u have the $ to do it i would go with the 18 or 20 inch bandsaws..especially if i were doing big blanks often ...bennies are alot better..like better bearings and things like that ..the bigger ones are designed for this type of work and the smaller ones are not even thou the modifacations make it possible its still not the best way.

just my humble 2 cents
Bob

Ruby Creek Marsh Wildlife Preserve, Port Orchard,
Website
www.wiltermood.com
I have to agree with windsors and dkulze on the Rikon. I purchased the Rikon 18" after doing much research and reading. Sure I had to run a new 220volt line into the shop but it was well worth it (besides my Vega needed 220). The saw has been excellent, no problems. It's powerful, heavy duty, and the machining is quality. Bite the bullet and go for a full size saw like the value packed Rikon.

I have to agree with the others about the Rikon. The Grizzly G0513X looks like a copy of the Rikon 18" and the Rikon (last time I checked) costs less than the Grizzly. It is a quality machine that will do what you are wanting to do. And, I would like to add that Rikon customer service is outstanding.
We have been running the Rikon for about 2 years now without a hitch.

Ballard (Seattle) WA and Volcano, Hawaii....on top
For what it is worth, I have the Jet 14, and I added a riser and carter guides to it. It handles my blanks just fine up to the full capacity of the unit, though I found I do MUCH better having made a circle jig rather than trying to cut free hand. MUCH safer, MUCH faster, MUCH smoother. Worth the effort.

Having said that. If I were to buy new again I would go up to the next sized saw next time rather than upgrading this one. By the time I did the riser and the blocks and replaced the old blade with a 105inch I could have bought the bigger saw and been done with it for the same money.

And....I agree wholeheartedly with the folks that recommended a high quality blade, sized appropriately for the job in terms of width, TPI, and tooth type. It makes a huge difference. Also take the time to tune everything up, including the blade. And do yourself a favor and mount some brushes in the case to keep the gunk off of your tires and blades and keep the blades well lubed to keep gunk off as well. That is a huge time saver.

Dave

Website
www.abhats.com
I started with a Jet 16" as I wanted the deeper throat. After getting a larger lathe (licorice, not mustard) I found the 16" just wasn't big enough. I opted for a Minimax MM20 (4.9 hp, 20" resaw, 20" throat) to both get more capacity and save some bucks over a Laguna (more in shipping than sale price). The one thing I hadn't thought about but now totally appreciate is table size. Both the Minimax and the Laguna have really large tables, over twice the width and depth of my old Jet. I don't know about what Rikon offers, but I wouldn't go back to a smaller table on a bet.

For Grybeard/Bob

Grybeard (Bob),
For tensioning/detensioning your Jet, remove the useless plastic knob and install a bell crank with a 3"-4" radius. Mine is home made from junk, attaches with an Allen set screw, and t/dt is easy and fast.

Back