• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jakob Kastner Filigree turnings 1976

Website
www.rudieswoodwork.com
Photos

There have been a number of hits on this article but no replies, so I am attaching photos and some more information some of which I got from an article in Off duty / Europe / June 1976.
The photos show 2 Filigree boxes from a set of 4. The boxes nest and are made of Maple with hand arbiten stamped in the bottom. Jakob Kastner lived in Berchtesgarden, West Germany and died in his late 70’s not long after the article was written. He started in his fathers workshop when he was 6. I tried scanning the article to post but it is too large.

Attachments

• Filigree 001.jpg
    Filigree 001.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 290
  • Filigree 003.jpg
    Filigree 003.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 288
  • Filigree 004.jpg
    Filigree 004.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 288
Google of ["jakob kastner" filigree] came up dry yesterday and today. Same with ["jakob kastner" woodturning] today. I expect that if there's a significant market, there'd be some hits. Perhaps you could try some alternate spellings, or other keywords.

Joe

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Some times the market is simply unknown. Great (undiscovered) artist are often far too common.
While a Critic goes and discovers some hack the produces crap, and convinces morons to buy it.
It's certainly possible, Jakob Kastner is the for first catagory.

I didn't even find those. Get a German-English dictionary, and fight your way through it. I had a seat mate on a train from Brussels to Aachen; he spoke no English (fluently, at least), and I spoke no German. With help from a dictionary, we had a great conversation for about two hours.

Joe

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
I did some searches in German.....

......but came up fairly empty.....thought I'd give it a try from the German perspective, and avoid all English search words, etc.

There have been a number of hits on this article but no replies, so I am attaching photos and some more information some of which I got from an article in Off duty / Europe / June 1976.
The photos show 2 Filigree boxes from a set of 4. The boxes nest and are made of Maple with hand arbiten stamped in the bottom. Jakob Kastner lived in Berchtesgarden, West Germany and died in his late 70’s not long after the article was written. He started in his fathers workshop when he was 6. I tried scanning the article to post but it is too large.

I corrected the spelling of the name of the town to 'Berchtesgaden' and did multiple nested searches with other appropriate keywords in German such as 'handwerk', 'kunst/kunstwerk', Drechsler, 'handarbeit', etc. - didn't find anything related to your request, but went through a few interesting web sites, and gave my German translation mode a run for its money.... not too often that I do web searches in another language - (I'm more comfortable in German than in Spanish!). I did come up with some interesting woodturning web sites in German that I'll link from my 'Woodturning Links' web page in the near future.

I also checked some engines such as at http://suche-handwerk.de and http://www.dienstleistungen-finden.de but apparently nothing on Jakob Kastner came up in these sites. Probably just "too old" and not much written about the pieces or their maker. I went through a few interesting catalogs of galleries that had any mention of 'Kastner', but to no avail.

Sorry I couldn't pull up anything on the Herr Kastner (...which seems to be a fairly common surname in Deutschland/Bayern) you are looking for and his filigree boxes.

Beste Wuenchen....

Tschuss!

Rob Wallace

Back