• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

it's a plot

i drive all day, check into cottage in Salvo and sitting on coffee table is this cremaic form, i am starting to see them everwhere

when i was a child on a trip i would see these large balls on stilts, i finally asked my father what they were and he said all towns and cities had water towers

now i see these shapes:D

Attachments

• pottery.jpg
    pottery.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 569
Reminds me of those mugs with the ceramic frog in the bottom. Never did find out what the significance of that was either:confused:.

BTW Texian. We are going though Wimberley in a couple Sundays from now. Anything of special note in town that we should be on the lookout for?

Charlie M

In a previous life as a potter I sold those things as a steamer. They are set over another pot in a double boiler arrangement. Somewhere out there there is a lid for it. And no, one made out of maple using the stem that was left where you had the tailstock center doesn't work well.

Jan

Wimberley

Charlie,
It's a quaint little place with many small shops and quite a few pretty good eateries I'm told. The feature area would be "the square", which is a block of shops on west side of highway 12. There are a couple of galleries and maybe a couple of the shops that might be of interest. Relatively little woodturning, but Craig Timmerman (sp?) has some work in one of the galleries.

My shop is still a shambles, having just finished construction, but would be happy to have you visit. You can help find my stuff amongst the boxes and figure out where it belongs. Important stuff (the lathe) is up and running of course.

Seriously, would be glad to have you come by if schedule allows. We are about 5 miles from town. Margaret does a pretty good Tex-Mex lunch, if you like that sort of thing.

Drop me a PM for questions and/or directions to the house.

Wimberley

Richard,
PM via forum coming --- I hope. My email has been down for couple days.
Charlie M

BB........it looks like one of MM's rough-out bowls that he forgot to finish the inside during a production rush.:eek:

Looked to me like a tiny, portable bidet for very small users, but no dimensions given. Maybe was 3 ft.dia. for large users. Never mind.

Jake-you beat me to it!!!!! Gretch

Shame on you! If the hole goes through, perhaps it's the ceramic version of a cream separator, where the milk stays below the standpipe and the cream is drawn off the top.

At least I didn't mention another use, where the spot in the middle would hold the corn cob. ;)

Old Timers used it for...

My grandmother recently passed away and we found something that looked exactly like this except it was enamel covered metal.

I remember her using it to strain off clabber from milk. She called it her strainer pot. She would put the milk in there up to the top of that overflow channel. Then after the clabber had formed she had a large round metal ball bearing that she dropped in. The displacement drove the clabber right over the overflow. (if that didn't work, sometimes she would just add water).

She also used it like a funnel strainer by stuffing cheesecloth inside the chute, turning it upside down and pouring tea through this thing into a pitcher. This would strain out the little tea and peppermint leaves she used for flavoring. I recall plenty of holiday meals where I also think she baked a coffee crumb cake in this little thing.
IlTexAg

Back