• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to John Shannon for "Walnut Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 27, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

ISO Buyer for ENTIRE wood turner's inventory/shop

Hello to the world of wood turners -
I am the daughter of a wood turner and perhaps this isn't the correct place to search for what I need but at least it is a start. My father has had to move to a long term care facility and as a result we need to sell the entire contents of his shop. His main focus was turning small project kits for sale at regional art fairs so the majority of what we have to sell represents his inventory of supplies - wood blanks/blocks, kit components and of course all of his tools. I have some specifics and photos but don't want to bother the entire group. If you are interested in learning more or continuing this conversation or know someone else who is please let me know. Thank you for reading - Lisa

If you have a local woodturning club they may be able to help you sort out things. It would take a long time to research the value of each item. A person with a woodturning background could not only do that but possibly even purchase items from you. I've heard of clubs liquidating entire estates for a % of the total to be used by the club for their activities. Just a thought. Most of us are older and can relate to your situation. I wish your father well.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
You can go here - https://www.woodturner.org/Woodturner/Resources/Find-a-/Chapter - and put in your state and get a list of chapters. Click on a chapter name and you should get a contact for that group. Like Dave F said, many chapters will have folks that will help you get a fair value for the stuff. Some may even run an event for you.

Our club helps with this all the time. If you could find someone to buy whole shop is the quickest but not near as much in value returned. There will be items which no one knows what it is or parts missing and a friend who turns or the club helps in these somewhat. Once you find out what things are by looking at catalogs you can advertise here and FB and other places and sell one at a time but the shipping may make it not worthwile effort,

Thank you all - this is very helpful information. I will reach out to the local associations and see what we can do. Very kind of you all to reply - have a wonderful day - Lisa

Southwest Idaho Woodturners swiwt.org. Susan McCoy is the president, and they have a contact submission page.
Thank you Dean - any interest from your club? While I live in southern Idaho my dad resides in Northern Idaho - near the montana border so in reality closer to you than me :) lmk if anyone in your area is interested. thank you - Lisa

Thank you Dean - any interest from your club? While I live in southern Idaho my dad resides in Northern Idaho - near the montana border so in reality closer to you than me :) lmk if anyone in your area is interested. thank you - Lisa
Sadly, we have had several local turners pass away and our folks are pretty well saturated. However, there's a good club in Spokane (inwwoodturners.org ) and there are a fair number of turners in Missoula and the Kalispell area. If you use Craigslist, maybe be sure to include that part of Montana. (We're 350 miles and 3 passes from C d'A.)

Back