• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Is this zebrawood, or bocote?

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I bought this piece of wood on the internet......sight unseen! It was sold to me as a piece of Bocote, but it sure looks like the few pieces of Zebrawood I've used in the past. Is it possible this actually is Bocote? Does Bocote ever look like this?

otis of cologne

Attachments

• Bocote 518 zebrawood (2).JPG
    Bocote 518 zebrawood (2).JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
It is seriously pretty, but if the color rendition in the picture is accurate, it does not look yellow enough to be zebra. On the other hand, the last zebra I bought was maybe 20 years ago, so maybe what is available today is a little different. Have noticed that in other woods.

Edit: Jovan and n7- Thanks for link to amazing website. Almost unimaginable amount of work to develop that site.

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Yes, thanks to the links to Hobbit House......

I put that in my favorite list so I could come back to it for wood identification.

I agree......looks like it is Bocote for sure.

Thanks

otis of cologne

odie

TOTW Team
Have you considered tulipwood. The bocote I've seen is usually much browner.

Dave.....The only tulipwood bowl I've ever done is this one here.....done earlier this year. It's luster and ability to take a finish was entirely different than this Bocote bowl. (At this point, I'm sure it's Bocote) Also, the Bocote seems to be much denser of a wood than the Tulipwood was.

elderbarryl......I've turned both Bocote and Zebrawood bowls in the past. I don't recall a distinct odor from the Zebrawood......but, I suppose all woods have an odor that's unique.

otis of cologne

Attachments

• Tulipwood 501 (2).jpg
    Tulipwood 501 (2).jpg
    78 KB · Views: 267

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
The Zebra wood that I turn smell like horse manure when your turning it. The Bocote I've turned is more brown and can easily be confused with Cocobolo. Zebra wood turn's with little curls and the Bocote turn's more as a dust for me. I would lean more toward Bacote than Zebra wood as far as appearance of that piece.

I couldn't tell you what it is - besides beautiful. Nice piece....

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
Kingwood is a type of rosewood , a Dalbergia species. It has a much more purple coloration in the wood and the characteristic sweet rosewood scent whilst turning it. Don't think it is kingwood, or any other rosewood for that matter.

If it didn't smell like horse poo whilst ya turned it - its likely Bocote - the color bands are tighter than most Iv'e seen, but its the wrong color for Zebrawood - (mostly brown against cream).

Another possibility is that it is one of the lesser known Cordia species that sometimes gets lumped in and sold with a batch of Bocote.

Like mentioned above - really nice, whatever it is.

Edit - Sitting here thinking - I could tell you for sure if the forum had smell-o-vision. :)

Last edited:
The grain is very much like the bocote I've worked with, although generally I agree that it isn't that yellow.

Website
www.turnlinks.com
IMHO definitely not Bocote or Zebrano it is far too orange / red in colour if the photo truly represents the colour. I would agree with the other commentators about it being probably being either Tulipwood or Kingwood. But in any case it is a nice looking bowl.

odie

TOTW Team
It's really surprising to see there's such a difference of opinion on this bowl.......never expected that!

.....and thanks for all the wonderful compliments. The bowl itself is rather simple in design, so whatever compliment it deserves, really should be directed towards Mother Nature!

otis of cologne

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Depends on how it was photographed - the base of this little box I turned is in Zebrawood - after poly and with tungsten lighting , it looks too yellow as well.

http://www.aawforum.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=4438&ppuser=4540

Howdy jovan......

The color of the bowl in the picture looks pretty good in comparison to the real bowl, but I know the color isn't a perfect match, because the color of the rug used in the background is a little off.

Since the bowl turning square was originally sold as Bocote, and the pictures in the Hobbit House Bocote examples look to be a real close match, I'm satisfied that the bowl in question IS, in fact.......Bocote. The thing that made me wonder, in the first place, are those alternating dark and light annual rings......but, at this point, I'm convinced it really is Bocote!

Thanks to all for your responses and especially thanks to you and n7bsn for turning me on to that Hobbit House site........that's a fantastic resource for me......or, anyone who wants to have photos for identification purposes.

Here's a photo of a Zebrawood bowl I did previously. When compared to the Bocote bowl......you can see there are similarities, but not enough to say they are the same species.......

otis of cologne

Attachments

• zebrawood 526 (2).jpg
    zebrawood 526 (2).jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Bocote 518  (2).JPG
    Bocote 518 (2).JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Website
www.woodstoppers.com
sweet bowl! I am going with Bocote too. Zebrawood has a "crappy" smell to it for one but it is not nearly as oily as Bocote. The Bocote that I have turned makes a lot of dust too, similar to Ziricote...very fine dust along with the normal amt of dust and shavings. Zebrawood is much more porous than Bocote too, in my experience...similar to black walnut in texture. Bocote is less porous, closer to red maple or something. Anyway- its an awesome bowl!

Website
www.machineartist.com
Seems like a good equipped shop

Hi Again Otis
Bocote for sure. I turn quite a bit of both so thats the bocote.
My workshop is my garden shed only 10 by 12 feet wall to wall. I have an engine lathe (Metal). Rose engine drill press and mini woodlathe (Not much room to move but I love it.
Best from Jeff

odie

TOTW Team
Hi Again Otis
Bocote for sure. I turn quite a bit of both so thats the bocote.
My workshop is my garden shed only 10 by 12 feet wall to wall. I have an engine lathe (Metal). Rose engine drill press and mini woodlathe (Not much room to move but I love it.
Best from Jeff

Yup, sounds like a pretty well equipped shed, Jeff........!

No matter how much room we have.......seems like we all find ways to fill every nook and cranny!......I'm no exception to that rule. Ha!

otis of cologne

Back