• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Will Armstrong for "Gold Carved Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 20th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Is this site slow?

In a recent thread, a loyal member stated that the AAW site was not as popular as some others. I agree with that statement and have attributed that sense to the fact that, on my PC (with DSL) it is quite un-responsive a large percent of the time. It is frustrating to have a selected page "time-out" because the system will not catch the new page and, after a few of those, the patience factor declines. Do others of the AAW membership experience similar reactions to this site? If you do please answer up as the Board needs to hear our feedback. Thanks! Philip

Phillip,

I am also on DSL and have not had any problems.

You might check your Security Settings.
Add AAW as a Trusted Site.

Charlie

I haven't seen a problem either, and I've still got dial-up connection.

Some response delay is to be expected during peak usage periods, but this site is a whole lot better than some others.

I've got broadband cable connectivity and the AAW site is very responsive. It's not the fastest, but it is better than average in my experience.

Ed

response of AAW site

Thanks for the input, one and all. Makes me wonder about my PC! What I do not understand is that every other site, wood or other, is fast as a bullet. Strange things happen in the ethernet!
Philip

Same here , I have DSL at home and custom built Systemax.
T1 at work. the work computers are cheap but .... stuff loads fast most of the time ... :eek:

Website
www.thepensmith.com
Me Too.... Sometimes

I have a DSL connection and most of the time I have no problems, but once in a while I get the same result. I have found that if I turn off the DSL modem and turn it back on the problem is resolved. For some reason the 'bit bucket' gets to full and you have empty it...

Ballard (Seattle) WA and Volcano, Hawaii....on top
I have cable modem and the site is quite zippy. No problems.

Is this the only site you notice slowness on or are you experiencing it in a variety of ways. Web access only? Other non web functions acting slowly?

Feel free to PM me if you want some help on the side.

Dave

Time of day may be a factor. On one or two other forums, I've noticed extreme sluggishness at the same time of day, e.g. midnight their local time. Sometimes I can't even log off, and need to come back later just to bail out. I'm guessing that's when they back up their servers, probably by program control, whether during heavy usage or not. Try keeping track of when you have trouble, and be guided by any pattern you find.

Joe

Website
www.chuckswoodshed.com
AAW Site Responsiveness

I recently installed a "WildBlue" satellite antenna and a new desktop. The AAW site is more responsive than most, but the satellite connection is erratic and it's hard to draw any definite conclusion on anything. I too have noticed some variation with time of day.

If you open a COMMAND PROMPT window and enter TRACERT AAWFORUM.ORG you will see all of the different legs your message traverses just to get to the AAW site. I just did and it took 21 hops. Your delay can be at any one of these points. Unfortunately this may change each time you do a tracert. My only point is that the trouble can be anywhere from your computer to AAW's server.

TRACERT shows time taken on each leg, but frankly I can't make much sense out of it (I've been retired too long). In any case I'm sure an excessively long one would be a clue.

Finding the command prompt window is a challenge depending on your version of Windows. With Vista it's Start (or whatever that danged thing is in the lower left of the screen), All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt. If I remember correctly older versions it's Start, Run, then enter CMD.

This isn't likely to be much help, but I'd hate to see you throw your computer out and find that's not the problem (unless you are just looking for an excuse to buy a new one). ;)

Back in October when I bought my new computer I couldn't even access the AAW Forum (There is a long thread on this, with help from several folks). Turned out to be some obscure setting in the new computer that conflicted with something WildBlue requires. Didn't affect anything except the AAW Forum. Just keep tweaking those darned browser settings.

Back