• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Iridescent Paint

Hi--has anyone used iridescent paint on wood ?,I turned a small box out of walnut and then sprayed it with black lacquer and then brushed Iridescent Jo Sonjas turquoise
.paint on,but keep getting grey blotches on it.Should I dilute paint with some water ?,any help appreciated--Stan Olson

The two ways I use that paint is to dab some on surface and use light air to spread it. I usually use my air brush as a source forth air. The other method is to blow up a balloon and after dabbing some paint use the balloon in a dabbing way to spread the paint.

Yes, used it to decorate tops...paint goes a long way, applied with my index finger right out of the tube and then spread around a bit with an air-gun. Works great:

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Dilute it about 50/50 with flo extender. You can dilute with water but the flo extender allows you to manipulate the paints longer. You can also reduce the white colors by force drying with a hair dryer. I wrote the article for Woodturning fundanentals that just came out in this months issue.

Hi--has anyone used iridescent paint on wood ?,I turned a small box out of walnut and then sprayed it with black lacquer and then brushed Iridescent Jo Sonjas turquoise
.paint on,but keep getting grey blotches on it.Should I dilute paint with some water ?,any help appreciated--Stan Olson
Hi--many thanks for all replys,first time using this forum and it really works,just wonder if anyone has brushed it on--thanks again--Stan Olson

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
My article on using the paints just came out in Woodturning fundamentals. Check it out if you are an AAW member.

Back