• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Installed a Diesel Heater

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
For years I've used a small Mr. Heater Big Buddy propane heater to heat my shop along with an electric heater when needed. It's been a good solution for most days but had a few drawbacks. Chasing propane refills can be a hassle, when we have severe weather of near 0 deg with snow and ice like last week the local suppliers can run out of propane and it can be fairly slow at getting up to a comfortable temp when it's really cold outside. Plus the electric heaters are a big drain on my shop power and can lead to tripping breakers when I power up another machine. I decided to install a diesel heater in my shop and so far it seems to be going well. Time will tell. It did mean another hole in my shop wall for the exhaust and finding a place for it in my small shop wasn't easy. I'm hoping it will give me a better and more efficient way of keeping the shop warm, especially when we get long periods of well below freezing temps with wind chill below 0. Not sure if anyone else uses one for their shop but for the price it seemed worth a shot. My tractor runs on diesel so I usually have plenty on hand.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Sounds great. I’m sure you have a CO alarm. Be sure you can hear it where you work with machines running.
keep an eye on the vent regularly too.

Every hurricane we get people dying from running generators in garages and some were thought to be vented.

I have to assume that when you say "diesel heater" you mean a fuel oil burner and not a diesel engine. The oil burner should fire into a heat exchanger exhausted to a chimney and air in the shop would be passed over the heat exchanger with a small fan assist, thereby keeping the products of combustion out of the work area.
In my previous shop I had a sealed off room for the lathe and a few other tools heated by a natural gas fired hanging heater and that was set up the same as what an oil burner would be, except for the chimney for gas has to have a SS liner because of the acidic nature of the exhaust.
In the MSP metro area that I used to live in we could get temperatures down to -30F, but where I currently live 200 miles to the north we have seen lows to -40F/C.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Don, it's one of those self contained units you see all over Amazon and YouTube these days. Like many things from China now. Made by one or two mfg I think but sold under many different names. Small all in one packages. Initially designed for campers and RVs by a German company years ago. A glow plug in a combustion chamber with a heat exchanger and fan around it. Simple machines but very efficient at burning Diesel.

Back