• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Al Miotke for "Laminations Galore" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 9, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Inside bowl cuts

I have the Raffan sheer scraper tool was a mandatory tool to have decades ago, lol. Would love to see how you modified it... I hardly use mine, maybe with a new grind...
I will have them in Portland... I generally prefer a shear scrape for final cuts. I have been going through some myrtle (actually California Bay Laurel...) and 'just because' it is being really prone to tear out no matter what I do... I will have a whole bunch of different NRSs too...

robo hippy

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I will have them in Portland... I generally prefer a shear scrape for final cuts. I have been going through some myrtle (actually California Bay Laurel...) and 'just because' it is being really prone to tear out no matter what I do... I will have a whole bunch of different NRSs too...

robo hippy
I will definetly be spending some time with you... Counting the days... Aloha

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Hey, I hear ya, Emiliano.....:D

There comes a point where tool expertise has diminishing returns. I don't know if you remember, but there was a single time where I was able to finish a surface with 600 grit directly from the tool. This, IMHO, is taking a good thing too far! There is little loss of geometric integrity when you get to start at this high a grit.....that's the good news. The bad news is, although the possibility of taking tool work to this extreme does exist, the practicality of such a feat is less than desirable. In other words, you just have to work too hard, and too long at eliminating sanding, when you set your goals too high. Starting at anything finer than 320 grit turns out to be a losing proposition in the overall scheme of things......or, this is the way it seems to me. I actually seldom have a sand-able surface, able to begin at 320 grit. When I do, that's great, but realistically speaking, I can begin to sand quite often at 240 grit. Even at that, there are ways to increase the efficiency of beginning sanding at 240 grit. You just learn to "see" and respond to the visual input.......after about a thousand times of contemplating the clues you have available to you! (Hind sight again, here! :eek:)

My personal rules about sanding aren't generic, either.......specifically because some species of wood are more difficult than others, as well as some grain patterning are more difficult to get a clean cut, or sand, than others........but, I know you already knew that. I'm just putting into words some of the thoughts I've had that are pictures in my mind, and this forum gives me the opportunity to do that. It allows me to focus my thoughts a little more clearly for my own purposes.....that's all.....:rolleyes:

-----odie-----
You are right, you have to be able to balance time working with tools , and lets gets started sanding so I can finish this. I do tell people that a few extra minutes sheer scraping on the outside of the bowl will prevent a lot of time sanding, so I spend a little extra there... Always chasing perfection....

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com

Attachments

• IMG_9770.JPG
    IMG_9770.JPG
    386.6 KB · Views: 21
Back