• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

If you were going to Richmond..........

Angelo

President Emeritus
Website
www.majicbrand.com
what to do

Come early, stay late, leave happy.

With all the history in Richmond, I'd like to tour some of the historic sites. I would also like to visit with local woodturners to trade wood or just see where they work wood.

A

Website
www.torne-lignum.com
What Angelo suggested is great. You would have to stay an extra day or two to see anything outside the symposium.

With over 1,000 turnings in the Instant Gallery, more rotations/demonstrations than you could possibly see, plus demonstrations in the vendor's area, not to mention all the time it takes to go through the vendor's area and really see what's new, specials and wood/tools you must have. Then you'll see name tags and you'll have to stop, say "Hey Bill/Malcolm/John, I'm Jim" and in minutes you have to say "gotta run, want to catch Raffan's demo"....................before you know it, you're saying "wow, that was awesome, but I never got a chance to ..........."!

Don't try to plan too much, you'll miss out on a lot of spontaneous fun.

Ruth

What Angelo suggested is great. You would have to stay an extra day or two to see anything outside the symposium.

I'd love to be able to stay extra, but it is our busy season in our store so that probably isn't possible(the historic sites will be up to LOML as part of the spouses program I assume.)

I remember going to Totally Turning a few years ago just as I was starting to turn and felt totally overwhelmed by the rotations, gallery, and even the suppliers. I know this show is a great deal larger. So without trying to overwhelm myself I'm trying to figure out how to get the most out of the show.

Your thoughts are helpful Ruth. Thanks

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
A couple of suggestions,

1. Carry a small note pad. I like to sketch ideas I get and tips from the demonstrations.

2. Schedule 2-3 hours to visit the trade show. I always set aside one full rotation period and walk the trade show. It is a less crowded and I can talk to the vendors and get their opinions, particularly if I have a big purchase in mind. It is the one place you can actually see Lathes, power carvers, turning tools, band saws .. not to mention wood and books and videos. Most of the vendors are more interested in helping you decide what you need than in simply making a sale.

3. Bring a top or turned toy for the charity donation Return to the community.

Totally Turning is a great regional symposium. The folks in Albany do things right! a great job. The National symposium is Different event. Richmond will have close to 50 demonstrators and over 160 sessions to choose from. close to 50 vendors. the instant gallery s overwhelming.

I try to pick 4 or 5 "Must see" demonstrations. Then i catch other demos and I sometime go to one in a subject that I have little interest just to see what its all about.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I might also add, bring a camera, preferably digital, to take pictures of everything you see and record some of the ideas that are in the notebook.

Plan the rotations from the back (Sunday) forward. The reason I suggest that is the rotations are always less crowded after lunch on Sunday. So if there is a turner you and everyone else are dying to see, Friday and Saturday are the days that are going to be the most crowded.

I have seen demos (ok, so maybe years ago) on Sunday where there was only 6 people in a Hans Wiesflog class, or Davis Lancaster. But also, be flexible, as the rotations are always subject to schedule juggling because of demonstrators flight plans, etc.

Save space in luggage for wood, tools, etc, or if you are closer, drive.

Al and Steve,

We are driving, our trip vehicle of choice is my Silverado, so hopefully the truck bed will have room to haul stuff. Hopefully I won't overuse the plastic.

Whereas I didn't know what I was looking for at Albany a few years ago this time I'll have specific tools and supplies I'm looking for at the show. I agree Al, the Totally Turning folks put on a great show. I guess that's why my expectations foor Richmond are so high being the national show.

Notepad will be my PDA and I'll have to remember to bring another camera as LOML will have ours.

Is it June yet?:)

Jim

Website
www.abhats.com
Richmond sights

For those interested in seeing something outside the hotel or Convention Center, here's a few suggestions.

Although not from Richmond, my wife and I vended at the National Folk Festival there for the last three years, and will probably be there again this year for the Richmond Folk Festival - all held on the grounds of the Tredagar Iron Works, which is now a Civil War museum (1 mile from the Convention Center). Tredagar was the South's sole iron works during the conflict. The just opened museum interestingly presents the war from three sides - South, North and slave, and Morgan Freeman is the museum's spokesperson. It's very interesting just seeing the engineering and how things were done back then.

There's a restored area near the canal that has many very good restaurants, clubs and stores (2 miles from the Convention Center).

The Carytown part of Richmond is the 'artsie' and boutique part (3 miles from the Convention Center). Richmond also has very good public transportation.

You have to have a sketch pad or something like that with a pencil to draw out ideas that come to you or that you see. Not sure a PDA will work for that. Camera is totally necessary. I have found that a small backpack to carry around all this stuff is a good thing. It allows you room to put in a purchase or two also.

Don't make this only a once in a life time thing. Every year is an adventure. There is more turning info passed in three days than you can absorb. What fun!!!!!
Hugh

Richmond convention

what would you do to make the most of a probable once in a lifetime turning experience?
For starters, you have to see the State Capitol building. It has just re-opened after a $100M. update. The Confederate Museum, Hollywood Cemetery -- with a guide, and drive over to Colonial Williamsburg just one hour away. Also, Richmond straddles the James River and that presents a Class 3, or 4 kayack challenge. The previously mentioned Iron Works are fascinating. The crossing of the James River where US Grant moved his entire army across the James in an amazing feat does not look like much but it presents an image of enormous strength when you stand at the spot. That location is in Charles City Co. that also has some of the most famous and fabulous plantations of history. Don't forget the National Park Civil War sites in Petersburg, VA, just a few minutes down the road. Philip

Jim,

I'm suprised no one else mentioned it but plan to see the professional exhibits. Go to the openings, have a glass of wine, buy the book and get it autographed by the artists. I know in Richmond there will be the Turned for Use exhibit and others (I'm sorry, I haven't studied the schedule yet).

I took my wife to Louisville which was my first National Symposium. We had a great time at the exhibits. Then she spent four times more time in the instant gallery than I did and made a few friends of her own in the process. She even went to a couple rotations with me. It was a great trip. I'm trying to squeeze Richmond into the summer so we can go again.

Frank

PS: Your are on the right track with the Silverado. I bet that sized truck would pull a trailer too.

Jim,

PS: Your are on the right track with the Silverado. I bet that sized truck would pull a trailer too.

Frank,
Yep, the Silverado has a trailer to go with it. When that suggested LOML wondered why I needed more wood when I have two full trees in log form waiting to be cut and slabbed into blanks. I was "kinda" stymied there.:D

Will take your advice on the instant gallery and professional exhibits.

Jim

Back