• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

How to drill a hole

This does not directly involve turning but I desire to make a display for some bottle stoppers with the tapered chrome bases.

With the taper, if I drill a conventional hole in a piece of wood there will be some wobble. So I would like to drill a taperd hole. The project would require a diameter and length greater that the counter sinks for screws.

Does anyone know of a technique of drill set that could drill such a tapered hole?

Taper Drilling

I've seen people take an old spade bit and grind each side down a little to get the desired taper. Grind each side the same so it drills true.

Does anyone know of a technique of drill set that could drill such a tapered hole?

You can buy countersinks / chamfering tools up to at least an inch in diameter.

You can use a router with a 45 degree bit and a simple jig.

You can use a router with a dovetail bit and a guide bushing.

You can use a scroll / band saw with the table set at an angle.

Ed

I've done the 7/8 spade bit grind to 3/4 for tapers (candles) with good results, but there are more exciting options out there, like http://www.greenwoodworking.com/reamer.htm or even commercial products you might want to explore.

You might want to try drilling a 1/2" forstner hole part way, followed by a smaller hole in the bottom to align the point of the stopper so it will sit vertical in the hole. Or vice versa. Use the depth stop on your drill press when you determine required depth of the 1/2" (or whatever size fits) hole. It may take a little experimentation to fit whatever stoppers you are using.

Ground one of those tapered spades for candles too, a few years ago. Works well. But geewhiz, a tapered reamer. How cool is that.

Last edited:
I just did this last weekend. Try a tapered step drill. Good ones from greenlee are $45+

I bought the $8 set from HF. Good for wood for a few holes

Scott (frostyford)

Last edited:
You can make this as complicated, and as expensive, as you like. But does the hole really need to be tapered full length? All you're after is to stabilize the top and bottom of the stopper for display, not a tight fit, right? I second Richard's (Texian) suggestion. Drill the large hole first, so that its divot centers the smaller bit. Works best for any counterbore situation.

Joe

I'll even go Joe one further. Drill the large hole first and the smaller diameter off center inside it. This lets you display your stoppers at a slight angle to the buyer, so they're not looking down on the tops of them.

Dietrich

Back