• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

How much of a lathe would I need for this turning?

Hello - I'm looking to purchase my first wood lathe to make "ACORN" finials for a table I'm setting up for production. Looking for advice on how much Horse Power in a lathe I should get to efficiently turn these acorns. I'm thinking a mini or midi lathe. I'll probably make a dozen acorns at a time (not on the same blank, but twelve total). The acorns will be made of white oak. Any suggestions on how much H.P. I need? Thanks.

Screen Shot 2022-10-24 at 8.44.48 AM.png

Well, any of the mini lathes out there should work, and to me, mini is a 12 inch lathe. I would expect them to have better resale value, if it comes to that. I would check with the local club there and see if some one has a lathe you can get used rather than new. You could probably pick up some tools as well. I figure the lathe is about 1/4 the cost of 'things' you will need to start turning.... Sharpening system, tools, abrasives, finishing stuff, grinder, chuck, though not essential, it really comes in handy. A work bench for the lathe, dust collection, safety gear, maybe a bandsaw......

robo hippy

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
You could easily turn 2 at a time from 10” blank.

This may not offer a speed increase if there is something like a dowel joint planned to pout them on something like a bedpost
Then a twist lock pin chuck would be real quick and automatically center on the hole.
A screw chuck would work too.

Any midi of mini would work. A 1hp will make the roughing from square to round faster and easier than a 1/2 hp.

I suggest the Jet 1221 EVS. It has most all the features you'd want in a lathe for this and future projects. Variable speed, reversible, can turn very slow & very fast. Small enough that a movable headstock won't be missed. Good resale and you can find them used as people step up.

I suspect you many want them “duplicated” as closely as possible. As this is your only reason for getting a lathe, I’d recommend a duplicator lathe or an add on duplicator. It depends on how close of a match you want.

This is not a great lathe in general, but for the light work you are after its fine IMO:

Grizzly and others make “copy” or “duplicator attachements” to fit some different lathe sizes as well.

The copy process uses a scraping cutter which can leave a not so great finish, which could then be scraped in with shear scraping or negative rake scraping with some finish sanding.

You can use a flat template to guide the copy attachment, or a full part.

My first lathe was a Nova Comet II Midi Lathe. It worked great and was designed to handle up to 12" diameter blanks so this would work well. It's a little bit of a step up from most mini lathes, I think, as it has speed control with 3 pulley speed ranges, so doesn't involve a lot of changing pulleys to move to a different speed. Pricewise, I don't know how it would stack up against most mini's these days.

Thanks for all your information, helpful in making purchase. I found a Rikon 70-150 on sale at Acme Tools ($625 incl. shipping - a very good price, usually sells around $750-850). It has 1 hp and variable speed and 12" X 16-1/2".

You could easily turn 2 at a time from 10” blank.

This may not offer a speed increase if there is something like a dowel joint planned to pout them on something like a bedpost
Then a twist lock pin chuck would be real quick and automatically center on the hole.
A screw chuck would work too.

Any midi of mini would work. A 1hp will make the roughing from square to round faster and easier than a 1/2 hp.
Hockenbery - I do need to put a dowel hole at the bottom of the acorns. And I am looking into your ideas of a twist lock pin chuck or a screw chuck. Otherwise I'm thinking I'll have to build some sort of jig to hold the acorn in place while I drill the dowel hoes. Thanks.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Hockenbery - I do need to put a dowel hole at the bottom of the acorns. And I am looking into your ideas of a twist lock pin chuck or a screw chuck. Otherwise I'm thinking I'll have to build some sort of jig to hold the acorn in place while I drill the dowel hoes. Thanks.
I think he means to drill the hole first - all turning will then be centered on the hole.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
If possible drilling holes before turning is best.

Using a screw center that matches a dowel diameter makes it easy to center the turning on the hole.
Sometimes finials are attached with metal fasteners.

Making a useable screw chuck is simple with a faceplate, block of wood and a lag screw.

When I did production work making newel post finials in acorn shapes, or ball shapes, whatever, I most often turned a round tenon (dowel) as a part of the whole piece when roughing down to approximate size. Then I would mount the dowel in a 4 jaw chuck for completing the entire finial. The advantage to that was that I could make tenons that were fairly large diameter.

If you care to travel to Evanston, I could give you a demo if you are interested.

Back