• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

How Many Chucks to Get Started?

If I was going to buy just one chuck after turning for 7 years now, it would without question be an Easy Chuck.

For my primary lathe, I have only one chuck and it's the Easy Chuck. I have every jaw set for it and the screw insert. Change-outs take seconds to perform. For bowls, this is all I need.

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
Evan, I guess I will be the sole dissenting voice who says he does not like NOVA chucks--I started with a NOVA DVR XP lathe and a Supernova 2 chuck--I just couldn't stand the righty loosey lefty tighty design of the NOVA chuck. I moved on to several different chucks over time--and currently I am a fan of Vicmarc Chucks and especially the Easy Wood Tools Easy Chuck--they are a little pricey, but their jaw changeout is unbelievably great!! If I was going to buy just one chuck after turning for 7 years now, it would without question be an Easy Chuck. Oneway and Vicmarc both make really good chucks, but they aren't that much less--if any than an Easy Chuck--so good luck, I will say you will probably be happy with a NOVA chuck--and BTW I have a NOVA infinity chuck and several sets of jaws that I will sell you for a great price if you're interested--received as a gift and never opened or used :)

Evan,

I agree with Don. I’ve moved away from the Nova chuck to a Vicmarc chuck, and am really happy.

For what it’s worth, here is my recommendation:
  1. Get a chuck with a solid body and jaws that work for what you’re doing now.
  2. Add jaws as you need them.
  3. As you do more and more turning, you can add more chuck bodies. Since you got a good chuck body, you can buy another and the jaws will fit it. You won’t have to buy new jaws.
Having multiple chuck bodies reduces the time you will spend swapping out jaws. That is time I can currently afford. But you have to make that call.

Anyway, that is one man’s opinion.

Kind regards,
Rich

Back