• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

How do you acquire your wood? (Poll)

How do you aquire your wood?

• I purchase exclusively

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I purchase occasionally

Votes: 30 28.0%
  • I only purchase when absolutely necessary

Votes: 22 20.6%
  • I harvest exclusively

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • I harvest occasionally

Votes: 42 39.3%
  • I swap, barter or take free wood

Votes: 66 61.7%
  • I don't do any of the following

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Website
www.Hale-Construction.com
All of my turning wood has been from neighborhood trees coming down, hearing the whine of a chain saw and offering a place for them to drop off the big trunk sections or picking some up to take home. Another was felling some ash and soft maple, but had some 24" dia walnut in his yard and was tickled to get a medium bowl for his wife. My cash generating turning is Native Amderican style flutes which I get my cedar 5/4 decking from Mednards and walnut/cherry from a local lumber mill.
Hey Jim, wondering if the lumber mill you are referring to might be here in Johnstown, just north of you.

I found fallen trees on both my farm and that of family and friends. I have also found out that as friends find out you are looking and willing to take trees off for them, they will give them to you just to get rid of them.

Mostly free wood. I have cleaned up storm damage, followed tree removal crews, etc. I always have eyes & ears open for tree work or the sound of a chainsaw. Mostly I will go and pick it up, but I've had a couple different tree crews drop it off at my house or shop.

I'm starting to clean up the HOA common areas here in northern Virginia. I'm currently processing a large white oak... Slow but sure. I'm almost down to board length that I'll chainsaw mill for the rest.

Attachments

• 20230412_185737.jpg
    20230412_185737.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
I don't buy wood. Most is from trees that people want to get rid of. Some is from road sides. But, when you start collecting "free" wood.....the word can get out. You will soon have more than you can handle if you are not careful.
A number of years ago, I received a phone call from a fellow who asked......"Is this the man who makes wooden bowls?". Then went on to tell me he had a big Claro Walnut tree in his backyard and did I want it. I have discovered it is always good to see what is being offered. I went to his place a few miles away from me and there is a 3' diameter Claro Walnut tree....that had been trimmed of all foliage and small limbs. But, still standing.
The house was close on one side, a neighbor's house was too close on another side.....there was a small cottage in the back. I told him that I wanted the tree, but did not have enough liability insurance to cut it down. Told him, if he gets it on the ground, I would take it. A month later, I get a phone call saying that the arborist is going to take the tree down the next day, and did I want to be there. When I got there, the arborist comes over and asks...."How do you want it cut?". I ended up with the big trunk and three good sized limbs. Roughed out a lot of bowls out of that tree.
I made him a nice good sized bowl and took it to him about 8 months later. Gave him a check to help cover the cutting down of the tree. He said he did not want the money. He had a 1 year old running around. I told him to take the check and put the money into the S&P 500 and then when the kid was 30, give him the proceeds.
There are tons of "free" wood out there most of the time.

Picture is of a tree I got free......but I did pay to have it delivered. A 42" Claro Walnut tree. First time I ever had a tree delivered. Best move I have made in a long time.
IMG_2756 (1).JPG

I don't buy wood. Most is from trees that people want to get rid of. Some is from road sides. But, when you start collecting "free" wood.....the word can get out. You will soon have more than you can handle if you are not careful.
A number of years ago, I received a phone call from a fellow who asked......"Is this the man who makes wooden bowls?". Then went on to tell me he had a big Claro Walnut tree in his backyard and did I want it. I have discovered it is always good to see what is being offered. I went to his place a few miles away from me and there is a 3' diameter Claro Walnut tree....that had been trimmed of all foliage and small limbs. But, still standing.
The house was close on one side, a neighbor's house was too close on another side.....there was a small cottage in the back. I told him that I wanted the tree, but did not have enough liability insurance to cut it down. Told him, if he gets it on the ground, I would take it. A month later, I get a phone call saying that the arborist is going to take the tree down the next day, and did I want to be there. When I got there, the arborist comes over and asks...."How do you want it cut?". I ended up with the big trunk and three good sized limbs. Roughed out a lot of bowls out of that tree.
I made him a nice good sized bowl and took it to him about 8 months later. Gave him a check to help cover the cutting down of the tree. He said he did not want the money. He had a 1 year old running around. I told him to take the check and put the money into the S&P 500 and then when the kid was 30, give him the proceeds.

Picture is of a tree I got free......but I did pay to have it delivered. A 42" Claro Walnut tree. First time I ever had a tree delivered. Best move I have made in a long time.
View attachment 51825
I had a similar situation in 1999 when I heard about a silent auction at the MN landscape arboretum that was taking 3 black walnuts to make room for a building project. My bid was $400.00, which I figured probably was not enough, but it turned out to be the winning bid. The biggest tree was about 3' diameter and I cut off the bute log at 150" (nominal 12 ' and 2 100" logs after that and the other 2 trees yielded 3 100" saw logs each. The trees had been felled and they wanted me to take everything except the small brush. I loaded the 100" logs and many of the larger pieces and told the MN woodturners to come and take what they wanted. The truck I had access to, though overloaded, made it the 200 miles to where my WoodMizer band mill was located, and the 12Ft. log made it the 200 miles on a single axel (3000 lb) trailer. The scrap made lots of turnings and the saw logs yielded about 1500 Bd ft of lumber most of it prime.

Reminded me of a story. Some years back, I got a call about a walnut tree coming down, and they wanted to know if I wanted it. Sure! How big is the tree? 5 foot diameter! When is it coming down? Tomorrow! No way I could have dealt with that much, so I told them to try to get hold of Goby Walnut, and this was when Gary Goby still owned the business.... Can't turn walnut any more.

robo hippy

If you’re okay with twice turning wet wood, I call local tree removal companies and ask them if I can grab some logs. They’re normally free and I get fresh wood.

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
Twenty or more years ago, I used to harvest my own. If I heard a chainsaw running in the neighborhood, I would get in my truck and find where it was. Often picked logs up from the power company’s tree trimming and clearing. If the log was long enough, I could stand it up against the tail gate of the truck and use the leverage to lift it into the truck bed.

Today, after two torn rotator cuffs from lifting green logs, a hip replacement, a couple of herniated discs and at least one knee replacement coming at the end of this year, and I have learned to work smarter, not harder. Of all those injuries, the rotator cuffs hurt the worst. On both, I felt the pop in the shoulder when it happened, followed by white hot pain, enough to make you lose your breakfast.

I have a guy that has a firewood and land clearing business. Whenever he comes upon large diameter cherry or walnut (18” and up), he will call me. I drive to his lumber yard, and if I want the logs, we negotiate a price. I will also see what else he has hanging around in log lengths, in other hardwood species, and he delivers the entire load to my backyard, and drops it right in front of my Woodmizer. That service is worth every penny.

I've been turning for 29 years. A policy I have always had is that if someone gives me wood, they will ALWAYS get something made from the wood given to me. After building that reputation for 29 years I am never in want of wood.
An additional plus for me is that I have befriended a Woodmizer owner who has a keen eye for scrap wood that would make a nice turned piece.

After having bilateral hip and one knee replaced, I told my surgeon that he needed the clip from the old Ringo Starr movie, Caveman, where Ringo and Lal hug, there is the loud crack, and they they both stand up straight with big smiles. It was nice to be able to stand upright again! As I age, I am much better about being smarter at any heavy lifting.... Levers are excellent, or don't do it....

robo hippy

After having bilateral hip and one knee replaced, I told my surgeon that he needed the clip from the old Ringo Starr movie, Caveman, where Ringo and Lal hug, there is the loud crack, and they they both stand up straight with big smiles. It was nice to be able to stand upright again! As I age, I am much better about being smarter at any heavy lifting.... Levers are excellent, or don't do it....

robo hippy
After never having been in the hospital, upon retiring 10-years ago, l’ve been in the hospital 5- times. Among the most serious was spinal fusion which put me out business for several years; I’m part titanium . I’ve lost much of my retirement years, unfortunately. So, trust me, take care of your back and spine.

Odd how people will complain about the cost of equipment, but spend thousands on medical bills to repair the body after
abusing it. When you are born, you are gifted with a good set of tools to last a lifetime if you take care of them. A trailer or truck
with a log arch or winch is a cheap investment compared to a visit to the hospital these days. You can always borrow or rent a
truck or trailer for the weekend if you don't harvest wood on a routine basis. Trying to dead lift green logs into a truck or trailer
is not a very good idea, plan ahead on your wood harvesting and have the basic tools needed to do the work.

Shh..One of the biggest tree service companies in my city has a yard that for some strange reason has a 3' wide gap between the gates and another 10' wide hole in the fence right next to the road that borders it (for at least 10 years now). They have a couple of semi truck loads of rounds and short logs all around the yard to pick through. If you catch them in the morning on their way to work, they'll tell you what they're bringing back that night. They're also helpful at species ID as they have at least a dozen on hand at any time.

Craigslist, I search it daily for free wood and have scored heavily. I still have 2 black walnut stumps in my shop I need to process from this. I need more wood like a another hole in the head. It's my main vice.
I also wrote a Craigslist ad looking for folks that want to see trees that have to be cut down go to hopefully better use than firewood. 90% of the response was folks (that didn't read the whole ad) wanting to sell common species of kind of ho hum material to me but one arborist called me from San Jose that gave me an elm burl the size of a Volkswagen and now we're tree buddies, he texts me regularly with wood offers.

I met an arborist trimming narrow leaf ash a block from my house. He hooked me up and I have another tree buddy.

I often do most of my surface street driving with my window down listening for chainsaws. I scored a sweet honey locust earlier this year that way. They loaded my van for me!

In short, it's everywhere!

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I recently drove a friend north of Sacramento to buy a truck. We drove through miles of nut orchards. They literally make huge tractor piles of walnut and pistachio (I'm sure there's almond too) and burn them. There were piles of walnut larger than my cargo van being burned.

I get logs where ever I see a tree down if they will let me have some. A good friend and I play disc golf. We went to play at one of the city parks after a storm and on the 17th hole we saw a cherry tree down. We finished playing and went to get my chain saw. We went back and cut up the whole tree.
IMG_0462.jpegIMG_0463.jpegIMG_0464.jpeg

Post storm driftwood combing on the beach has brought home many burls and crotches too. When I used to live across the street from the beach, I kept a chainsaw at home (instead of the shop) during the winter. I'd sneak across the street after the tourists and families had gone away to bring home the best of the wood I'd found during the day.

I'm currently building some redwood stick and cope, double hung windows from old growth I scavenged that way. There's no way I could buy redwood that tight from a lumberyard.

Attachments

• salvaged redwood driftwood.jpg
    salvaged redwood driftwood.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Shh..One of the biggest tree service companies in my city has a yard that for some strange reason has a 3' wide gap between the gates and another 10' wide hole in the fence right next to the road that borders it (for at least 10 years now). They have a couple of semi truck loads of rounds and short logs all around the yard to pick through. If you catch them in the morning on their way to work, they'll tell you what they're bringing back that night. They're also helpful at species ID as they have at least a dozen on hand at any time.

Craigslist, I search it daily for free wood and have scored heavily. I still have 2 black walnut stumps in my shop I need to process from this. I need more wood like a another hole in the head. It's my main vice.
I also wrote a Craigslist ad looking for folks that want to see trees that have to be cut down go to hopefully better use than firewood. 90% of the response was folks (that didn't read the whole ad) wanting to sell common species of kind of ho hum material to me but one arborist called me from San Jose that gave me an elm burl the size of a Volkswagen and now we're tree buddies, he texts me regularly with wood offers.

I met an arborist trimming narrow leaf ash a block from my house. He hooked me up and I have another tree buddy.

I often do most of my surface street driving with my window down listening for chainsaws. I scored a sweet honey locust earlier this year that way. They loaded my van for me!

In short, it's everywhere!

Attachments

• elm burls and surfboards.jpg
    elm burls and surfboards.jpg
    753.8 KB · Views: 28
Nice load there! If you look around, you eventually come across a prize piece.

View attachment 51825
Sweet! Hey, how much was delivery?

Keith,
The arborist had a fork lift on site. The truck cost was $125/hour. My place was two hours away. Total bill....$500. I gave him a bowl too though.
It would have cost me at least that much in gas to make the numerous trips in my pickup truck. Let alone the time involved. This way, I got to work through the log at my turning pace. Cut a chunk off.....seal the new cut wood. Go rough out the part I cut. Took me about 4-5 months to get through all of it. I also shared some with my club members.
Think of all the wear and tear on my body by having it delivered. Best move in ages.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I live on 20 acres with 500+ black walnut trees.

I put all the box elder in my burning pit, I will not even burn box elder in the house in the fireplace.

I like walnut. Unfortunate you don’t have nice box elder

The box elder I have gotten turns nicely

IMG_7786.jpegIMG_2384.jpeg

i have 25 acres of hardwoods, black walnut, black cherry mulberry, black locust, bird cherry, red maple, yellow polar, red oak white oak , ash, beech gum, palownia sycamore hickory, sassafras, etc. but a saw mill up the road makes machinery skids. they cut 3,5 x 3.5 down to 7 ft and cut offs are free for the picking. mostly red oak and poplar, but free is very good

I'd say better than 75% of the wood I buy is not fully seasoned. Sometimes very wet.

At this point, I've paid over $400 for a single piece of wood!

-----odie-----
Odie that strikes me as very expensive for that sort of money where I am it would get you 250lbs of burl.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Odie that strikes me as very expensive for that sort of money where I am it would get you 250lbs of burl.
Ha,ha......Yeah, tell me about it, hughie!

You live right in the heart of some of the most beautiful and expensive woods in the world......I envy your easy access to these beautiful exotic woods. :)

-o-

Here I was trying to take the poll and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work.
Since there's usualy no money left after buying all the tools; I look for downed trees and any free stuff I can get. Although age, and the dammage from serving uncle Sam, are making that harder.

Website
www.ovwg.org
Here I was trying to take the poll and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work.
Since there's usually no money left after buying all the tools; I look for downed trees and any free stuff I can get. Although age, and the damage from serving uncle Sam, are making that harder.
The poll closed after 14 days from the thread first being posted.

i have 25 acres of hardwoods, black walnut, black cherry mulberry, black locust, bird cherry, red maple, yellow polar, red oak white oak , ash, beech gum, palownia sycamore hickory, sassafras, etc. but a saw mill up the road makes machinery skids. they cut 3,5 x 3.5 down to 7 ft and cut offs are free for the picking. mostly red oak and poplar, but free is very good
The poll closed after 14 days from the thread first being posted.
What a fun thread! The pictures and varieties of methods /stories are great.

Tree cutters here all want money. I guess I'd better develop better diplomacy
tree guys here all have connections with saw mills and firewood sales. they get paid to take down a tree, and maybe have an opportunity to squeeze a few more bucks out of the wood. almost any hardwood pieces are firewood. They do have trouble getting rid of conifers.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
tree guys here all have connections with saw mills and firewood sales. they get paid to take down a tree, and maybe have an opportunity to squeeze a few more bucks out of the wood. almost any hardwood pieces are firewood. They do have trouble getting rid of conifers.
Heh beat me to it. Same thing here. Most of it ends up as someone's (often the client's) Firewood pile or they'll cut and split and sell it roadside as campfire wood. (Which I do with scraps & cutoffs of hardwood lumber here)

Rarely do I get a chance to pick out some pieces from trees coming down, so I try to publicize to locals with any interest that I will sort of "trade" them by making them a keepsake bowl or other object (in one case I made a small hand-tool worked box from riven pieces from a log) if they deliver or arrange to deliver sufficient amounts of wood that I can utilize for the project.

So sometimes I do get some folks offering the wood (more often I have to go get it, but I'll only visit really local areas within few minutes drive time of my front loader tractor, since I don't have a truck and my current vehicles can't haul a trailer...) But other than that - some Arborists will post the wood "free to pickup" if the client does not want to keep the wood themselves, and don't pay for removal... and it is almost always gone within an hour or less..

But then Pine and other softwoods are almost always just chipped and dumped (Once in a while I might be told of some Juniper/Red Cedar which I'll try and go get if possible)

Back