• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to John Shannon for "Walnut Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 27, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

How do collaborations work?

I was wondering how people decide to collaborate and if there are any conventions to follow. Is it more common for collaborators to plan out how the project is going to work or do people just "play it by ear"? As I see it, a collaboration between woodturners offers an opportunity for creative exploration - you see what direction another turner might take your unfinished piece. In this sense, less planning may be better than more. Another benefit of collaboration seems to be social. I don't see how you could avoid becoming closer friends with somebody who collaborates with you on a project. I searched "collaboration" in the American Woodturner index and observe the following "reasons" for collaboration:
1) the passing of a woodturner with unfinished works
2) a woodturner handing off an unfinished piece to become a canvas for an artist to embellish
3) open exchange of ideas
4) creative inspiration

Can you think of any other aspect or reason for collaborating that I have left out?

As I was reviewing the American Woodturner on the subject of collaboration, I realized that there are several people in my local AAW chapter that I would like to collaborate with. I guess I will just ask them.

Back