• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Al Miotke for "Laminations Galore" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 9, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Hope Threading Jig

I've seen or tried them all but for me there is nothing even close to being better than the Baxter Threading Jig. Expensive, yes but you are getting a quality beautifully machined super accurate instrument. I have two, do you need two? Probably not but they are so good that when the opportunity came up to get the second one I just got it. And yes I do use both as they are different sized and fit different lathes.
Purchased every one. Sold every one. But the baxter.

I’m seriously considering buying the Hope Jig. The alternative is to buy a cutting head and cutter and make the rest. The cutting head is, I think, a really good deal at only £69. It’s certainly quite affordable to have at least two or even three of different pitches. The flip up idea on the Hope looks extremely useful so if I do make one it would have to include this feature. I’m quite surprised that other makes haven’t included this idea. One of my club members bought the Hope jig a little while ago so I’ll have to visit him to have a good examination of it. I’m part way through another project at the moment so I’ll revisit this when it’s nearer completion.

Reed, I’ve seen a couple of different ways of making the setup of the Hope/Chefware jig much easier, so I honestly don’t think this will present any problems for me. I see placing a simple set square across the bed together with an index of some sort between the jig and banjo as a probable solution when the time comes. 😉
Buy the Hope jig. You won't be disappointed.
I use the 16tpi for small boxes and the 12tpi for cremation urns.
My understanding is that Simon Hope does not sell to the US. For boxes 2" and smaller I prefer to hand chase threads at 16TPI. Larger boxes and urns I generally will cut 10TPI with a Chefware Kits jig as I am typically using woods that will not hand chase well.
You can buy his stuff from Black Forest Woods in Calgary.

Website
www.opaspens.com
Sounds like what you did was cut a thread like a tapered pipe thread. Might even be a good idea to have a bit of taper in threads to account for seasonal distortion.
I have the Chefware Kits Jig and have thought about this quite a bit. I don't believe you are in fact cutting a tapered thread like a pipe thread. Because you are moving the workpiece past a fixed cutter point, I think all you are doing is slightly changing the shape of the thread, from /\/\/\/\ to something like |/|/|/|/ (only not that exaggerated).

Frankly, I eyeball the alignment between the chuck body and the lathe ways and have no issues with the shape of the thread as long as the two pieces screw together. It's wood, after all, and isn't going to be landing on Mars.

Back