• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

honey jar

Have seen lots of postings, projects, books, etc. about turning honey dippers, but can't find any references about turning a honey pot.

My idea is to turn a small lidded box (with a notch for the dipper) for storing honey on the table.

Any issues (e.g., safety, particular woods) with storing honey in a wooden container?

Thanks.

Website
www.token.crwoodturner.com
I don't have the specific info at my fingertips, but the USFPL (US Forest Products Laboratory) in Madison, WI did a study on the bacterial retention of wood vs. plastic cutting boards quite a few years ago, and wood won the test due to it's natural antibiotic properties which plastic lacks (imagine that, PLASTIC lacking natural antibiotic properties?).
[Correction: it was not the USFPL, but the U of Cal Davis Food Safety Laboratory that did that study. Thanks to John in his post below)]

There was a thread here in the AAW forums on this subject sometime last year, if you want to do a search I think it would be worthwhile.

I would choose a relatively inert wood such as Hard Maple (unspalted) or Ash, as opposed to Walnut or Cherry. A beeswax finish would seem appropriate, no? If there are any doubts about the safety of a particular wood, turn a wooden lid to fit a glass jar.

Last edited:
kengrunke said:
I don't have the specific info at my fingertips, but the USFPL (US Forest Products Laboratory) in Madison, WI did a study on the bacterial retention of wood vs. plastic cutting boards quite a few years ago, and wood won the test due to it's natural antibiotic properties which plastic lacks (imagine that, PLASTIC lacking natural antibiotic properties?).

I have used this citation, with an insert in my cutting boards for many years.

http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/faculty/docliver/Research/cuttingboard.htm

John :)

Back