• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Honey Bee

Has anyone tried to turn a honey bee and if so do you have any photos. I have a coworker who is retiring and I would like to turn one for her, but I'm sure where to start.

Thanks!!

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Malcolm Zander had a delightful piece in the AAW Auction.
Title - Thirty-six-Bee-Cup A turned cup and 36 bees of various genders.
It is on the web here
http://www.icollector.com/Thirty-Six-Bee-Cup-by-Malcolm-Zander_i24721207

Malcolm is sometime on this forum.
The proceeds of the auction were split between AAW EOG & Terry Fox cancer research.
Malcommhad a discussion going about the piece on WOW.

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I turned a wasp many years ago but I don't know if I have any photos. It was so long ago it's probably a slide. :)

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Has anyone tried to turn a honey bee and if so do you have any photos. I have a coworker who is retiring and I would like to turn one for her
There are Ways to use the bee theme besides turning a bee shape.
Could make a bowl, box, hollow form, ornament, pendant, etc with a bee or bees on it.
A box with a bee on the lid might do the trick.
Bee could be done with carving, pyrography, sandcarving, painting, piercing......

There are Ways to use the bee theme besides turning a bee shape.
Could make a bowl, box, hollow form, ornament, pendant, etc with a bee or bees on it.
A box with a bee on the lid might do the trick.
Bee could be done with carving, pyrography, sandcarving, painting, piercing......

And don't forget to finish it with Bee's Wax.

Back