• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Homemade Klin

William,
As per Cindy Drozda’s article, (see post #16 above), I’m going at this low tech and experimental. I’ll just watch the temp and humidity and weigh the blanks until it looks like they’ve stopped losing weight and humidity. I expect if I get the humidity too low, they’ll put some weight back on after they stabilize outside the box. I’m starting with wood I won’t be devastated to lose if things go bad. I’ve just got a 40watt bulb in a small (~6 cubic foot) chest freezer on its side. In past experiments when empty, that’s been able to get the box up to about 105-110°. I’ll let you know how it works out.

I looked up ceramic reptile bulbs and the information I saw was they produce about 106F temperature. Is that the highest temperature you want with one bulb or are your ceramic bulbs different?
The temperature that a heater reaches is dependent on the atmosphere the heater is in. The energy applied to an electric heater must be dissipated so as the temperature in the area rises the temperature of the filament will also rise in order to dissipate the applied energy.

The temperature that a heater reaches is dependent on the atmosphere the heater is in. The energy applied to an electric heater must be dissipated so as the temperature in the area rises the temperature of the filament will also rise in order to dissipate the applied energy.
The list of questions that Google displays when you search for ceramic heaters also says that you should not use them in an enclosure because of fire danger which illustrates my previous post about the temperature will rise in order to dissipate the energy. The 106 degree temperature is very confusing along with the recommendation to not put them in an enclosure, are they saying the surface of the heater or the reptile that you are trying to keep warm?

Mother nature has had my kiln turned up for a few weeks now. She will keep it there for a couple more months.
Clear
99°F
37°C
Humidity7%
Wind SpeedSW 11 MPH
Barometer30.1 in (1019.3 mb)
Dewpoint28°F (-2°C)
Visibility10.00 mi
Heat Index93°F (34°C)
Last update08 Jul 04:53 PM MDT

Back