• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

homemade grinder tool rest setup jig question

I have a OneWay clone jig on my slow speed grinder. I have seen several comercial setup blocks for getting the tool rest to a specific angle. I have also seem pictures of jigs made from plywood. I would like to keep cost down by cutting a jig out of 1/4 inch plywood to set the correct angle for grinding my scrapers. After cutting the block I would want to touch the plywood to the grinder's spinning wheel to do the final sizing. After that I would use the jig with the grinder off.

Does briefly grinding plywood on a grinder do any serious damage to the wheel?

I cut a few pieces if 1/4 inch ply about 2x6 and keep them next to the grinder. Then when I want to save an angle, I place the long edge on the platform with the end beside the wheel and trace the wheel onto the ply then cut on the bandsaw. The trick is to follow the line at the top and bottom, but cut deeper in between. That way when you touch it to the grinder, you are only grinding two small places instead of the length of the whole arch. I do this on regular stones, haven't tried it on my CBN's, probably wouldn't...

Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
While far from an expert, I don't think you want the wood and glue combo—but the wheel could always be cleaned. It just seems like an accelerated version of having sappy wood pitch build up thas come off your gouge to the wheel.

I would suggest wrapping a strip of course sandpaper around the wheel and then hand rotate back and forth with your jig in place to fine tune. Or use aluminum, and grind very carefully. A little aluminum isn't a big deal, you just don't want to overdue it.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I make my own version of the Raptor jigs, long before they ever came out. Mine are made to duplicate my grinds and not any specific angle. If you already have a gouge shaped the way you want you simply lock down the V arm and the make this jig. This video shows exactly how I make them. If you want a specific angle you will need a little trial and error grinding your tool to get that angle. After that you can build one of my plywood jigs for that angle.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbggxj2kgyc&t=50s

Touching a grinding wheel with wood will not hurt the wheel . Your method of touching the wood to the wheel is the method I use to make the gauge. I tried this recently on CBN and it left a mark which with time has lightened. Aluminum and CBN is a no no and not recommended for regular wheels as it is very hard to get off. Oh by the way I use plain thin (1/32) wood for the gauges , I think it is better than ply.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I do use those jigs with the grinder turned off. I do touch them very very briefly when I first make them so that I get a really good surface contact.

I make my own version of the Raptor jigs, long before they ever came out. Mine are made to duplicate my grinds and not any specific angle. If you already have a gouge shaped the way you want you simply lock down the V arm and the make this jig. This video shows exactly how I make them. If you want a specific angle you will need a little trial and error grinding your tool to get that angle. After that you can build one of my plywood jigs for that angle.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbggxj2kgyc&t=50s
I wanted to bump this old thread from John that I found very useful. I am going to make a couple of these today in the shop. Thanks @john lucas

Touching a grinding wheel with wood will not hurt the wheel . Your method of touching the wood to the wheel is the method I use to make the gauge. I tried this recently on CBN and it left a mark which with time has lightened. ... I use plain thin (1/32) wood for the gauges , I think it is better than ply.

I got some smoke off the CBN wheel with plywood and it did leave a dark streak on the wheel surface that was of no consequence and, as Gerald experienced, it faded with use. I expect the glue in the ply accounted for most of the deposit on the wheel. Your piece of plain thin wood is a better idea, Gerald. It would still burn a bit when first forming it, but if low resin would leave less deposit on the wheel.

I do use those jigs with the grinder turned off. I do touch them very very briefly when I first make them so that I get a really good surface contact.

Likewise, John.

Back