• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Chad Eames for "Twisted Walnut Vessel"being selected as Turning of the Week for September 2, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Hollowing systems and carbide tools

I have purchased one Hunter Stabilizing tool and looking to improve my hollowing on boxes, small bowls and vases. Retired and as we all get older begin to lose muscle. I like the Hunter carbide tools, just wondering should I purchase more Hunter hollowing tools or look at the Simple Hollowing System and tools.
Thank you.

I suggest looking at the Elbo 2 hollowing system. They are alike in many ways, but what sold me was the ability to attach a handle which gives me a lot more control of the tool. Good luck in you search

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
looking to improve my hollowing on boxes, small bowls and vases

When I let the wood come to the tool the tools do the work. This takes very little strength.
I find the Ellsworth gouge makes turning easy.
I use the hunters to finish hollowing goblets.

I see lots of folks using techniques that are rough on the body.
They powernthrough the wood and it works for them but they get more tired than necessary.

The hollowing systems are all easy on the body and the wood.

The best way I know of to learn techniques easy on the body is to take a class or get some mentoring.
Most local clubs have programs to help.

Here is kind of what I mean by letting the tool do the work hollowing a small bowl shape.
You see me open my hand to let the tool feed itself into the cut.
The rotating tool wants to pull the tool shaft away from my grip so I let it.
turning my body to follow the tool so the bevel stays on the wood.
I learned the technique in classes.
trim.03FECE28-E2BD-4816-83B4-3DD4502EAB34.GIF

When I let the wood come to the tool the tools do the work. This takes very little strength.
I find the Ellsworth gouge makes turning easy.
I use the hunters to finish hollowing goblets.

I see lots of folks using techniques that are rough on the body.
They powernthrough the wood and it works for them but they get more tired than necessary.

The hollowing systems are all easy on the body and the wood.

The best way I know of to learn techniques easy on the body is to take a class or get some mentoring.
Most local clubs have programs to help.

Here is kind of what I mean by letting the tool do the work hollowing a small bowl shape.
You see me open my hand to let the tool feed itself into the cut.
The rotating tool wants to pull the tool shaft away from my grip so I let it.
turning my body to follow the tool so the bevel stays on the wood.
I learned the technique in classes.
View attachment 65492
Thank you. I am trying to be more patient, focus on technique as you recommend. Again thank you.

I am not rushing to buy a hollowing system my thought is to look into one or two more Hunter tool as I only have the Hunter Stabilizing tool which is excellent. For me it’s a great hobby. Can you suggest what Hunter tools would be more helpful?
Thank you.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Thank you. I am trying to be more patient, focus on technique as you recommend. Again thank you.
Practice practice practice.
When the tools aren’t working well. My instinct use to be to tighten my grip which usually makes it worse.
Loosening the grip generally solves most problems.

@john lucas has a nice collection of videos on Hunter tools

Warning the tools may not work as well in your hands as they do in John’s. If you do what John does you’ll get great results.

This video on the Hercules, John shows turning a small bowl
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzrLN8SQ8ms

These should show you a list of a lot more of the Hunter videos.

Although I almost always start out any turning with an Ellsworth styled gouge, once the meat has been hogged off I have 6 different Hunter Tools all of which I use and love!
Thank you, I only have one Hunter tool the Stabilizer and looking to add three more. May I ask for limited budget what you would recommend?

Practice practice practice.
When the tools aren’t working well. My instinct use to be to tighten my grip which usually makes it worse.
Loosening the grip generally solves most problems.

@john lucas has a nice collection of videos on Hunter tools

Warning the tools may not work as well in your hands as they do in John’s. If you do what John does you’ll get great results.

This video on the Hercules, John shows turning a small bowl
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzrLN8SQ8ms

These should show you a list of a lot more of the Hunter videos.
Thank you! I have watched five John Lucas videos, very helpful. You have provided some very educational advice, making me more aware and better understand….practice be patient keep trying.
Your help and AAW are all very resourceful. Again, thank you and wishing you wellness. David

Thank you, I only have one Hunter tool the Stabilizer and looking to add three more. May I ask for limited budget what you would recommend?
My first Hunter was/is the Badger Straight Tool bought 10 years ago. It's still the most used of all Hunters and a great all around carbide. From there the choice depends on what you are going to turn. For hollowing medium HF the Badger Full Swan Neck is great, For small HF's I use both the #1 Tapered Straight Tool and one of it's two swan companions or the Cygnet Center. (call Mike Hunter for the differences. ) The Stabilizer wasn't available when I bought a 5/8” Square Shank Hercules Tool. I use it primarily for bowl bottoms. Hope that helps. as others suggested check out John Lucas youtube. hope that helps

I agree with Al Hockenbery. The more skill you have, the less work turning is. A few hours with a mentor will advance your skills as much as months or years of DIY. As is often said here, it's not the arrow, it's the archer.

I agree with Al Hockenbery. The more skill you have, the less work turning is. A few hours with a mentor will advance your skills as much as months or years of DIY. As is often said here, it's not the arrow, it's the archer.
Thank you.

My first Hunter was/is the Badger Straight Tool bought 10 years ago. It's still the most used of all Hunters and a great all around carbide. From there the choice depends on what you are going to turn. For hollowing medium HF the Badger Full Swan Neck is great, For small HF's I use both the #1 Tapered Straight Tool and one of it's two swan companions or the Cygnet Center. (call Mike Hunter for the differences. ) The Stabilizer wasn't available when I bought a 5/8” Square Shank Hercules Tool. I use it primarily for bowl bottoms. Hope that helps. as others suggested check out John Lucas youtube. hope that helps
Thank you, appreciate all the helpful information. I do believe with continued practice and better tools my work will continue to improve. Been following John Lucas value his teachings.And I will call Mike tomorrow. Again thank you and all AAW members for being so supportive.
David

I have the Viceroy 5/8 and it does a quick job of hollowing. For finish cuts #4 straight. For inside those small opening hollow forms #5 swan neck. Then the 3 piece #1 hollowers for ornaments . Of all these I use the Viceroy the most, as it does a quick job of tasks assigned to it.

I have the Viceroy 5/8 and it does a quick job of hollowing. For finish cuts #4 straight. For inside those small opening hollow forms #5 swan neck. Then the 3 piece #1 hollowers for ornaments . Of all these I use the Viceroy the most, as it does a quick job of tasks assigned to it.
Thank you. I will be contacting Hunter Tools tomorrow. Greatly appreciate your help and the overall support of AAW members. David

The cupped carbide cutters are the best cutting carbide tools but…they do not cut as easily as hss. For the same chip load, hss edges impart less force into the tool. I find them useful for lighter load finishing cuts, but hss is much better for just material removal. Its very apparent using hand held or hollowing system tools/cutters.

If you only need ~ 8” or so off the tool rest for hollowing, then several of the articulated systems will work. Getting much deeper requires bigger bars, and I think Trent Bosch’s system has the largest bars for articulated systems. It then moves into the larger captive systems like Jamieson, Clark, Sinner, and some others.

If you only need ~ 8” or so off the tool rest for hollowing, then several of the articulated systems will work. Getting much deeper requires bigger bars, and I think Trent Bosch’s system has the largest bars for articulated systems. It then moves into the larger captive systems like Jamieson, Clark, Sinner, and some others.
It is very simple to make a bar. I ordered a 36 inch rod of 1 inch cold rolled steel and cut it in two. Got a friend who has a metal lathe turn one end to fit my Elbo hollower and drill the other end for a tool holder.

Back