• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

hickory

TEK

I have some green, bitternut hickory. Does anyone have any experience with hickory? I thought that I would cut some into blanks to turn tool handles out of, and cut some for other projects. I have some sections of log 33 inches long. I split them out of the whole log with an 8 lb hammer and wedges. A couple of these sections are almost 12" on each side. I have been ripping them down with my band saw. I have a new timber wolf 1/2 “ 3 TPI Blade on the saw which is powered by a 1 horse motor. It is pretty slow going. I’ve been fastening straight edges to the logs so they have a flat edge on the table and a flat edge against the fence. Is the hickory worth the trouble I’m going through? Do you have any suggestions on how to make the cutting go quicker? By the way the nuts really are quite bitter we tried them when we were kids. Once was enough! The squirrels like them though.

Last edited:
Hi,TEK, I have turned quite a pile of pecan, a member of the hickory clan, and it turns well. Both are very tough woods. Hard on the tools tho so be prepared to sharpen frequently. Sometimes the color contrasts are quite remarkable. Try a piece and see what you think. That is the imortant factor.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
We too get a lot of Pecan and an ocassional Hicory. Turns very well wet and then somehow as it drys, morphs into "Pecancrete".

The dry wood tens to tear out on the end grain but is manageable with good sharp tools. If you are going to rough out green, use the standard %10 of diameter for the bowls thickness. It will warp, and if you leave in any bark inclusions or knots, it is likely to split there if you are drying with an air dry method.
Have fun!

Website
www.urbanwoodworks.com
I like hickory

Tom,

I like hickory, but Steve's right about the "Pecancrete" (or "Hickercrete" in this case) once it dries.

I like the color contrasts I get from crotches, and it seems to do well for natural edge bowls. I've seen it crack badly, but have had more good luck than bad.

Try it. You might like it.

Rick

The older I get the better I was.

Back