• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Here is a little birch burl.

I teach high school shop and we try to turn some during the class. One of my students has really got hooked on turning. He brought this 200 lb. plus birch burl in today. I have a member from our local woodturning club coming by to help decide how to get the most out of this burl.
Jack
100_0234.jpg

send it to Paul Engle C/O Sagle post office i can figure out how to cut it and let ya know ;) :eek: :D . wowzer dats a nice one !!!

Looks like a blister, rather than a burl. Yellow birch can get some good ones going. This is an ideal candidate for a coring device, since the grain reversals will make for some grand shimmering swirls on bowl shapes. I've done a few tabletops from slabbed blisters, and they can be really dramatic.

Michael,
One of our turning club members has a one way coring system, and I'm pretty sure he will help core it. We weighed it today and it was 210 lbs. It does seem to have swirl patterns rather than what I have seen in the burls I've turned.
Thanks,
Jack

It is hands. I had him hide behind the burl so that his face couldn't be seen. Laws of today make it unwise for me to post a students face on the net. It is over 32" wide at the longs point and 26" at the shortest point.
Jack

Back